Mosfet SSR, flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuit

In summary, the author is concerned about the potential for a voltage spike when the amplifier's output is disconnected, and has come up with several possible solutions. One solution is to use a thyristor to shunt the output, another is to add a transient suppression diode, and a third is to slow down the MOSFET turn off.
artis
Hello, as you can see in the attached image I have an opamp driving a BJT transistor that controls the power through a isolated mosfet driver IC that drives 2 series (back to back) N fets performing the duty of a solid state amplifier output relay.

Now my concern is this. In case the output to speaker has high current but the safety needs to disconnect the amplifier, the mosfets will be disconnected but unlike a mechanical relay there will be no arc and the current termination will be sharp and abrupt which might cause an inductive flyback voltage spike.

My idea to eliminate this is to have a separate switching element that is normally open but every time the output mosfet switches OFF the other switch closes or turns ON, this would short circuit the speaker output terminals through the switch. I would add some 8 ohm or larger resistor in series with the switch for current limitation and dissipation.
The questions is how to best implement such a switch and wire it with the existing circuitry.
Maybe there are some better solutions like reverse polarity diodes from PSU + rail to output and output to - rail or some other method?

I was originally thinking about a thyristor, aka TRIAC or GTO in a "crowbar" style output shunt.
All in all I am favoring an easy to implement and simple solution in this case but one that is reliable

PS. I also attached the full protection board schematic for those interested

Attachments

• mosfet relay.png
    mosfet relay.png
    13 KB · Views: 97
  • APEX Protect Stereo schematic with MOSFET output.jpg
    APEX Protect Stereo schematic with MOSFET output.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 84
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think a full set of clamp diodes to the amplifier power and ground would do. However, a fast diode, careful layout, and good (low impedance) bypass caps are really important. In addition, you may also want an RC snubber across the MOSFETs.

Another possible option is a bidirectional transient suppression diode (zener) like the old 1.5KE series, but those are hard to specify (power dissipation, clamping voltage, etc.).

A third idea would be to intentionally slow down the MOSFET turn off with something like a gate resistor and big miller capacitor to reduce the dV/dt. This might be a tricky design though, I can imagine some issues with MOSFET Pd and delays. But the general concept is that if you don't need a fast disconnect, don't switch at high speed, that just makes all of the transients worse.

PS: Also look into avalanche rated MOSFETs to improve their ruggedness.

Likes dlgoff

What is a Mosfet SSR?

A Mosfet SSR (Solid State Relay) is a type of electronic switch that uses a metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor (MOSFET) to control the flow of current. It is commonly used in place of traditional mechanical relays due to its faster switching speed, smaller size, and longer lifespan.

How does a Mosfet SSR work?

A Mosfet SSR consists of an input circuit, a control circuit, and an output circuit. The input circuit receives a control signal, typically from a microcontroller or other electronic device, and uses it to activate the control circuit. The control circuit then switches the MOSFET on and off, allowing or blocking the flow of current in the output circuit.

What is a flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuit?

A flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuit is a protective measure used in Mosfet SSRs to prevent damage to the circuit in the event of a high voltage spike or surge. It works by detecting a voltage spike and quickly shunting the excess voltage to ground, protecting the circuit and any connected devices.

Why is a flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuit important?

A flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuit is important because it helps to prevent damage to the Mosfet SSR and any connected devices. Without this protective measure, a high voltage spike or surge could cause the MOSFET to fail, leading to a complete circuit failure and potential damage to other components.

What are some common applications of Mosfet SSRs with flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuits?

Mosfet SSRs with flyback shunt/crowbar safety circuits are commonly used in industrial and commercial applications, such as motor control, lighting control, and power supply switching. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as household appliances and audio equipment.