Having trouble with this canoe/relative velocity problem.

• Thread starter btbam91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, two students accidentally drop an empty bottle while canoeing upstream on a river. They continue paddling and reach a point 1.1 Km farther upstream before realizing the bottle is missing. They turn around and paddle downstream to retrieve the bottle, which has moved 4.1 Km with the current. The problem involves calculating the speed of the river and the boat in still water using three equations with three unknowns.
btbam91

Homework Statement

Two students are canoeing on a river. While heading upstream, they accidentally drop an empty bottle overboard. They then continue paddling for 1.5 h, reaching a point 1.1 Km farther upstream. At this point they realize that the bottle is missing and, driven by ecological awareness, they turn around and head downstream. They catch up with and retrieve the bottle (which has been moving along with the current) 4.1 Km downstream from the turn-around point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the speed in the first phase of the problem, (1.1km/1.5h) but don't know where to go from here.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
btbam91 said:

Homework Statement

Two students are canoeing on a river. While heading upstream, they accidentally drop an empty bottle overboard. They then continue paddling for 1.5 h, reaching a point 1.1 Km farther upstream. At this point they realize that the bottle is missing and, driven by ecological awareness, they turn around and head downstream. They catch up with and retrieve the bottle (which has been moving along with the current) 4.1 Km downstream from the turn-around point.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the speed in the first phase of the problem, (1.1km/1.5h) but don't know where to go from here.

Thanks!

I think it helps to draw a picture. I did and came up with three equations in three unknowns:

(1.5 + t)*S_r = 3km
t*(S_r + S_b) = 4.1km
(S_b - S_r)*1.5 = 1.1km

(1.5hr + t) is the total time of the trip, S_r is the speed of the river, and S_b is the speed of the boat in still water.

Ugh. I kept coming up with 2 equations with 3 unknowns... thank you so much.

I went to thread tools, but there isn't an option to mark the question solved...

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object with respect to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is usually measured in terms of speed and direction.

2. How do I calculate relative velocity?

To calculate relative velocity, you need to find the difference between the velocities of the two objects. If both objects are moving in the same direction, you simply subtract the velocities. If they are moving in different directions, you need to add the velocities.

3. How does relative velocity apply to a canoe?

In the context of a canoe, relative velocity would refer to the velocity of the canoe with respect to another object, such as the water or the shore. It takes into account the motion of both the canoe and the other object.

4. Why am I having trouble with this canoe/relative velocity problem?

There could be several reasons why you are having trouble with this problem. It could be due to a lack of understanding of relative velocity and how to calculate it, or it could be because the problem is complex and requires multiple steps to solve. It is important to break the problem down into smaller parts and approach it systematically.

5. Are there any tips for solving a canoe/relative velocity problem?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve a canoe/relative velocity problem. First, make sure you understand the concept of relative velocity and how to calculate it. Then, break the problem down into smaller parts and draw a diagram to visualize the motion of the objects. Finally, use the appropriate equations and formulas to solve for the unknown variables.