Calculating Time to Return to Starting Point in a River with Constant Current

In summary, the conversation involves a person asking for their answer to be checked in a problem where they are canoeing downstream at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h while the river is flowing at a constant speed of 1.10 km/h. They ask for pointers if their answer is wrong and are later confirmed that their answer is correct.
Sagrebella
Hello, could someone please check my answer for this problem. All of my work and equations are clearly presented in the picture attached below. (If my answer is wrong, please give me pointers on how I could obtain the correct solution).

Thanks !

Problem 3:

You paddle your canoe at a constant speed of 4.00 km/h relative to the water. You are canoeing along a river that is flowing at a constant speed of 1.10 km/h. If you paddle for 60.0 minutes downstream (with the current) and then turn around, how long does it take you to get back to your starting point?

IMG_3077.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct.

Yes! Thank you for your help :smile:

kuruman said:
Your answer is correct.

Yes! Thank you for your help :smile:

1. What is relative velocity of a canoe?

The relative velocity of a canoe is the speed and direction of the canoe in relation to another object, typically the water or the shore.

2. How is relative velocity of a canoe calculated?

The relative velocity of a canoe is calculated by taking into account the canoe's own velocity and the velocity of the water or shore. This can be done using vector addition or by subtracting the velocities if they are in opposite directions.

3. What factors affect the relative velocity of a canoe?

The relative velocity of a canoe can be affected by the speed and direction of the water or current, the wind, and any obstacles or objects in the water that may alter the canoe's path.

4. How can the relative velocity of a canoe be measured?

The relative velocity of a canoe can be measured using GPS technology, by tracking the time and distance traveled, or by using devices such as a pitot tube to measure the speed of the water.

5. Why is understanding relative velocity important for canoeing?

Understanding relative velocity is important for canoeing because it allows the canoeist to navigate and adjust their speed and direction in relation to the water and other objects. It also helps with safety and avoiding collisions.