Relative Velocity - Canoe vs. River

In summary: You just had a bit of a blind spot there. Keep it up!So, let's summarize the conversation:In summary, the problem involves a canoeist wanting to travel straight across a river with a strong downstream current. The canoeist can maintain a velocity relative to the water. The questions ask what direction the canoeist should head and how long the trip will take. The correct approach is to use vector addition and find the angle at which the canoeist will have no upstream/downstream velocity. The angle is calculated to be 41°, and the trip will take 2.3 minutes. The key is to accurately draw the vector diagram.
killaI9BI

Homework Statement

A canoeist wants to travel straight across a river that is 0.10km wide. However, there is a strong current moving downstream with a velocity of 3.0km/h. The canoeist can maintain a velocity relative to the water of 4.0km/h.

a) In what direction should the canoeist head to arrive at a position on the other shore directly opposite to his starting position?

b) How long with the trip take him?

Homework Equations

a2 + b2 = c2

sin a = (sin b/b) X a

cos θ = adjacent/hypotenuse

The Attempt at a Solution

a) r2 = 42 + 32 = 25
r = 5km
sin θ = (sin90/5)X 3
sin θ = 0.6
θ = 37

He should aim 37° upstream, from the destination reference.

The book's answer is: He should aim upstream at an angle 41° with respect to the riverbank.

b) cos 37 = 0.1/hyp
hyp = 0.1/0.79
hyp = 0.125
0.125/4 = 0.03 = 1.9min

The book's answer is 2.3 min.

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
First things first. Draw yourself a vector diagram. Yes, a right triangle is involved, but what is the hypotenuse?

Thank you.

I've done that and thought the hypotenuse was calculated from the angle as well as the length of the adjacent side:
cos 37 = 0.1/hyp
hyp = 0.1/0.79
hyp = 0.125
0.125/4 = 0.03 = 1.9min

is this the wrong way? I figured my answer must be wrong because the angle that I calculated for question a) is different than the book's answer.

You want to find the angle in which he will have no upstream/downstream velocity.

This means the up-stream-component of his velocity* must equal the downstream velocity of the water.

At what angle does this happen?

*(his velocity relative to the water)

Likes 1 person
killaI9BI said:
Thank you.

I've done that and thought the hypotenuse was calculated from the angle as well as the length of the adjacent side:
cos 37 = 0.1/hyp
hyp = 0.1/0.79
hyp = 0.125
0.125/4 = 0.03 = 1.9min

is this the wrong way? I figured my answer must be wrong because the angle that I calculated for question a) is different than the book's answer.
You are mixing up which side is the hypotenuse. (You won't calculate the hypotenuse--it's given.)

Draw the triangle representing this vector addition:
V(water/shore) + V(boat/water) = V(boat/shore)

This forms a right triangle. But the trick is correctly identifying the sides.

I'm so confused.
vws=3km/h
vcw=4km/h

32+42=52
vcs=5km/h

My brain is mush. That number doesn't seem right.

I don't understand how this question is messing me up so much.

killaI9BI said:
I'm so confused.
vws=3km/h
vcw=4km/h

32+42=52
vcs=5km/h

I don't understand how this question is messing me up so much.

And we likely won't understand how to help you unless you show your work. Your work INCLUDES the vector diagram, so draw it and show it.

killaI9BI said:
I'm so confused.
vws=3km/h
vcw=4km/h

32+42=52
vcs=5km/h

It's not right. Show us that vector diagram.

Your analysis assumes that vws and vcw are perpendicular. They are not.

I apologize

DSC_0321.jpg

Doc Al said:
It's not right. Show us that vector diagram.

Your analysis assumes that vws and vcw are perpendicular. They are not.

ohhhh!

I will redo my work considering that but I don't think I know where to start.

Last edited:
killaI9BI said:
I apologize

DSC_0321.jpg
Finally, a diagram! :smile:

You are told that the canoeist wants to go directly across to the other shore, so Vcs must be straight across. The angle that Vcw makes is what you need to find. (Using a corrected diagram.)

Likes 1 person
talking to me about this is harder than teaching a rock how to swim!

so vcw=4
and vws=3
so vcs=2.65

finally!

DSC_0322.jpg

so (0.1/2.65)x60 = 2.3 min

and sin Θ = (sin 90/4) X 2.65
= 41°

Hooray!

thank you very much!

Yay! :approve:

killaI9BI said:
talking to me about this is harder than teaching a rock how to swim!

Nah, you did fine. The trick to these, as I think you now see, is to get the vector diagram right. The math is trivial but you need to be sure you are actually solving the right problem.

Likes 1 person

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and is measured as the difference between their velocities.

2. How does relative velocity apply to a canoe and a river?

In the context of a canoe and a river, relative velocity refers to the velocity of the canoe in relation to the velocity of the river. This is important because it affects how the canoe moves and how long it takes to reach a certain point.

3. How is relative velocity calculated for a canoe and a river?

The relative velocity of a canoe and a river can be calculated using vector addition or subtraction. It involves breaking down the velocities into their x and y components and then combining them using vector algebra.

4. What factors can affect the relative velocity of a canoe and a river?

The relative velocity of a canoe and a river can be affected by various factors such as the speed and direction of the river, the speed and direction of the canoe, and the presence of any external forces such as wind or currents.

5. Why is understanding relative velocity important when navigating a canoe in a river?

Understanding relative velocity is important when navigating a canoe in a river because it helps the canoeist to anticipate and adjust for the movement of the river. It also allows them to choose the most efficient path and estimate the time it will take to reach their destination.