1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Having trouble with this Moments about the coordinate axes problem!

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    Having trouble with this "Moments about the coordinate axes" problem!

When a force F is applied to the handle of the valve shown, its moments about the x and z axes are, respectively, M_x= -77 lb ft and M_z= -81 lb ft. For d=27 in., determine the moment M_y of F about the y axis.
    [PLAIN]http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/8366/092310015800.jpg [Broken]

I figure I'm supposed to use the formulas:

M_x= yF_z - zF_y
    M_y= zF_x - xF_z
    M_z= xF_y - yF_x

but I'm having trouble on finding a component of the force.

Also, are my x,y,z's correct??

I got, x=-4, y=11, z=-27

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2
    Re: Having trouble with this "Moments about the coordinate axes" problem!

Sorry for the large picture, right click>view image for a better view of it!

4. Sep 26, 2010 #3
    Re: Having trouble with this "Moments about the coordinate axes" problem!

im working on this same problem and i cant figure it out at all. all i know is that your x,y,and zs are wrong. you are given the moments with units of ft.*lbs. and those numbers are inches, so you need to divide them by 12 to make them feet.

i managed to express M_y in terms of F_y but idk how to solve for F_y. its still in terms of F and theta. there must be more equations to use that we arent thinking of.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook