1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Health physics or medical physics

1. Jun 26, 2010 #1
    I'm looking into a career change to health physics or medical physics from analytical chemistry (in the pharmaceutical industry). For medical physics, I think I'm going to run into CAMPEP drama due to timing, so am leaning more towards health physics.

For health physics, will I be limited to nuclear plants as employers or will anyplace that needs an RSO want a health physicist?

I have a master's degree in chemistry (P Chem emphasis) and an undergraduate physics minor with classical and quantum mechanics, but no E&M. I also have 27 graduate hours in mathematics. Is my preparation reasonably adequate to begin studying health physics?

I have some more questions, but want to do some more research before posting them.

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2010 #2
    Did some more research and found out that in my state (NY), I can become licensed as a Med. Physicist for Nuclear Medicine or Medical Health Physics through board exams of organizations other than ABR, so maybe medical physics is still a possibility.

Is medical health physics more or less an RSO for a medical organization? If so, would a medical organization want the RSO to wear another hat too?
  4. Jun 27, 2010 #3
    May I ask what exactly "health physics" is? I'm doing my PhD in physics and I want to get a job as a physicist (as opposed to becoming a computer programmer, software engineer, etc.), but I am probably not going to go into academia. So I'd like to know what's available in industry, especially the healthcare field.
  5. Jun 27, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Health physics usually refers to the science and practical implementation of radiation protection. On the science side you might want to look at a journal like Radiation Protection Dosimetry. A typical question in this field is something like predicting the incidence of breast cancer induction that results from mammographic examinations in a paopulation so that it might be compared against the probability of early detection. There can be a lot of overlap with medical physics.

Most of the jobs are centred on radiation safety. (And I should note that in such positions, my experience is that there aren't too many opportunities for pursuing the science side of the field above). There is a lot of legislation around the operation of (ionizing) radiation-producing devices and the use of radioactive materials. Radiation safety officers (RSOs) are the ones who assume the responsibility for the day-to-day management of a radiation safety program. Their duties can include:
    - operating and maintaining a workplace exposure monitoring system
    - oversight of policies and procedures
    - investigating exposure incidents
    - shipping and receiving radioactive materials
    - conducting radiation surveys
    - testing of safety sustems
    - radiation safety training
    - input into facility design

In smaller hospital settings, a medical physicist can often be tasked with RSO duties. (Although, I might note that legislation in particular regions may require specific certification and therefore even in smaller settings a full time RSO might be required). In larger hospitals and nuclear facilities the RSO will be a full time position or even multiple positions.

Mek42 - you'll have to contact specific programs you're interested in to see if you qualify.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook