Health physics or medical physics

In summary: There are many different types of medical physicists, so it's difficult to say without knowing more about your specific interests.
mek42
I'm looking into a career change to health physics or medical physics from analytical chemistry (in the pharmaceutical industry). For medical physics, I think I'm going to run into CAMPEP drama due to timing, so am leaning more towards health physics.

For health physics, will I be limited to nuclear plants as employers or will anyplace that needs an RSO want a health physicist?

I have a master's degree in chemistry (P Chem emphasis) and an undergraduate physics minor with classical and quantum mechanics, but no E&M. I also have 27 graduate hours in mathematics. Is my preparation reasonably adequate to begin studying health physics?

I have some more questions, but want to do some more research before posting them.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Did some more research and found out that in my state (NY), I can become licensed as a Med. Physicist for Nuclear Medicine or Medical Health Physics through board exams of organizations other than ABR, so maybe medical physics is still a possibility.

Is medical health physics more or less an RSO for a medical organization? If so, would a medical organization want the RSO to wear another hat too?

May I ask what exactly "health physics" is? I'm doing my PhD in physics and I want to get a job as a physicist (as opposed to becoming a computer programmer, software engineer, etc.), but I am probably not going to go into academia. So I'd like to know what's available in industry, especially the healthcare field.

Health physics usually refers to the science and practical implementation of radiation protection. On the science side you might want to look at a journal like Radiation Protection Dosimetry. A typical question in this field is something like predicting the incidence of breast cancer induction that results from mammographic examinations in a paopulation so that it might be compared against the probability of early detection. There can be a lot of overlap with medical physics.

Most of the jobs are centred on radiation safety. (And I should note that in such positions, my experience is that there aren't too many opportunities for pursuing the science side of the field above). There is a lot of legislation around the operation of (ionizing) radiation-producing devices and the use of radioactive materials. Radiation safety officers (RSOs) are the ones who assume the responsibility for the day-to-day management of a radiation safety program. Their duties can include:
- operating and maintaining a workplace exposure monitoring system
- oversight of policies and procedures
- investigating exposure incidents
- shipping and receiving radioactive materials
- conducting radiation surveys
- testing of safety sustems
- radiation safety training
- input into facility design

In smaller hospital settings, a medical physicist can often be tasked with RSO duties. (Although, I might note that legislation in particular regions may require specific certification and therefore even in smaller settings a full time RSO might be required). In larger hospitals and nuclear facilities the RSO will be a full time position or even multiple positions.

Mek42 - you'll have to contact specific programs you're interested into see if you qualify.

I can provide some insight into your potential career change to health physics or medical physics. Firstly, both fields involve the application of physics principles to the study and management of human health and radiation. Health physics specifically focuses on the protection of individuals and the environment from the harmful effects of radiation, while medical physics deals with the use of radiation in medical diagnosis and treatment.

It is important to note that both health physics and medical physics are highly specialized fields, and may require additional training or certifications depending on your previous experience and education. In terms of your concern about CAMPEP drama, it is always beneficial to research the requirements and regulations in your desired field before making a career change.

In terms of employment opportunities, health physicists can work in a variety of industries including nuclear power plants, research facilities, hospitals, and government agencies. Your background in analytical chemistry may also be beneficial in industries such as pharmaceuticals or environmental monitoring.

Regarding your preparation for studying health physics, your background in chemistry and physics is certainly a strong foundation. However, you may need to supplement your knowledge in areas such as radiation physics and safety regulations. It is also important to stay updated on the latest developments and advancements in the field.

I encourage you to continue researching and exploring your options in health physics and medical physics. It may also be helpful to reach out to professionals in these fields for further insights and advice. Best of luck in your career change!

What is health physics or medical physics?

Health physics or medical physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the application of physics principles and techniques to healthcare and medicine. It involves the use of radiation and other imaging technologies to diagnose and treat diseases, as well as to ensure the safety of patients and healthcare workers.

What is the difference between health physics and medical physics?

The terms health physics and medical physics are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Health physics is primarily concerned with the health and safety aspects of radiation, while medical physics also includes the use of radiation and other technologies for medical purposes.

What is the role of a health physicist or medical physicist?

A health physicist or medical physicist is responsible for ensuring the safe and effective use of radiation and other imaging technologies in healthcare. They may work in hospitals, research facilities, or government agencies and are involved in tasks such as radiation safety, quality control, and radiation therapy treatment planning.

What kind of education and training is required to become a health physicist or medical physicist?

To become a health physicist or medical physicist, one typically needs a graduate degree in medical physics or a related field, such as physics or engineering. Many also pursue additional certification through organizations such as the American Board of Radiology or the American Board of Medical Physics.

What are some current challenges or advancements in the field of health physics or medical physics?

One of the main challenges in this field is keeping up with rapidly advancing technology and techniques, as well as ensuring the safe and ethical use of these technologies. Some current advancements include the use of artificial intelligence in medical imaging and the development of new radiation therapy techniques for cancer treatment.