Heat exchanged in Expanding and cooling gas

In summary, the conversation discusses a solution to a problem involving the first law of thermodynamics. The original solution gives a positive value for the amount of heat exchanged, while the textbook solution gives a negative value. It is determined that the textbook solution is incorrect and the original solution is correct.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For part(b),
1680335521558.png

My solution is,
##\Delta E_{int} = Q - W = \frac{3}{2}(P_fV_f - P_iV_i)##
##Q = W + \frac{3}{2}(P_fV_f - P_iV_i)##
##Q = 4000 + \frac{3}{2}((1 \times 10^6)(6 \times 10^{-3}) - (3 \times 10^6)(2 \times 10^{-3})##
##Q = 4000 J##

However, according to the solution b. ##−4000 J##

Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 1680335515066.png
    1680335515066.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 38
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm uncertain what would in general be meant by the amount of heat "exchanged" by a system. It could mean the amount gained, the amount lost, or the magnitude of the transfer (so positive). Looks like they intended the amount lost.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Your answer is correct.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
haruspex said:
I'm uncertain what would in general be meant by the amount of heat "exchanged" by a system. It could mean the amount gained, the amount lost, or the magnitude of the transfer (so positive). Looks like they intended the amount lost.
Thank you for your reply @haruspex!

If they intended for the amount lost, why dose the first law in my answer give the wrong sign? If you don't know, please don't worry about it, this textbook dose have a lot of mistakes!

Many thanks!

Chestermiller said:
Your answer is correct.
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller ! That is reassuring. Do you please know whether the reason I am correct is because the textbook solution is wrong?

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @Chestermiller ! That is reassuring. Do you please know whether the reason I am correct is because the textbook solution is wrong?
Obviously

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Chestermiller said:
Obviously
Thank you for your help @Chestermiller !

1. How does heat exchange occur in expanding and cooling gas?

Heat exchange occurs in expanding and cooling gas through the process of convection. As the gas expands, it becomes less dense and rises, carrying heat energy with it. As it cools, it becomes more dense and sinks, transferring heat energy to the surrounding environment.

2. What factors affect the amount of heat exchanged in expanding and cooling gas?

The amount of heat exchanged in expanding and cooling gas is affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the rate of expansion or cooling, and the properties of the surrounding environment such as temperature and pressure.

3. How is the heat exchange in expanding and cooling gas related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the temperature of a gas, is closely related to the heat exchange in expanding and cooling gas. As the gas expands and cools, the volume increases and the temperature decreases, following the ideal gas law.

4. What applications does the study of heat exchange in expanding and cooling gas have?

The study of heat exchange in expanding and cooling gas has various applications in industries such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and combustion engines. It is also important in understanding weather patterns and the Earth's climate.

5. How can we calculate the heat exchanged in expanding and cooling gas?

The heat exchanged in expanding and cooling gas can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This can be expressed as ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added, and W is the work done. By measuring the change in temperature and volume of the gas, we can calculate the heat exchanged using this equation.