Heat Exchanger Thermal Calculations

In summary, the conversation is about heat exchangers and the formula and equations used to understand them. The two fluids used in a heat exchanger are steam and water, and the formula used is the heat balance equation, which calculates the heat added to the water and the heat rejected by the steam. This equation takes into account the mass flow rate, specific heat, temperature, and enthalpy of the fluids. It is used in the same way for all types of heat exchangers, such as condensers.
elec2050
Hello,
Can anyone get me Heat exchanger thermal formula and equations

Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's a lot more to understanding heat exchangers than a few formulas...

what type of the two fluids used in this heat exchanger?
the most imp formula which is used with the exchangers its doing the heat balance for these two fluids,lets say its a condenser,
so the two fluids are the steam and the water,
the formula used:
heat added to the water(Qadded)=the heat rejected by the steam(Qrej)
mdot(cw)*Cpw*(Tout-Tin)=Mdot(st)*hst
where:Mdot is:mass flow rate,Cp is:specific heat of water at constant pressure,T is:temperature&h is:the enthalpy of a saturated steam.

generally,its doing a heat balance for the two fluids using in the heat exchanger by the same way with the condenser.
let me know if i missed something with what I've mentioned,
thanks for the forum.

Last edited:

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that is used to transfer heat from one fluid to another, without the fluids coming into direct contact with each other. It is commonly used in industrial processes and HVAC systems to regulate temperatures.

2. How do you calculate the thermal performance of a heat exchanger?

The thermal performance of a heat exchanger is typically calculated using the heat transfer coefficient, which takes into account factors such as fluid flow rate, temperature difference, and surface area of the heat exchanger. Other calculations may also be used, depending on the specific type of heat exchanger.

3. What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and finned tube heat exchangers. Each type has its own unique design and is suitable for different applications.

4. What factors affect the thermal efficiency of a heat exchanger?

The thermal efficiency of a heat exchanger can be affected by factors such as fluid flow rate, temperature difference, surface area, and fouling or buildup on the heat transfer surfaces. Other factors, such as material type and design, can also play a role.

5. How can I improve the thermal performance of a heat exchanger?

There are several ways to improve the thermal performance of a heat exchanger, such as increasing the surface area, optimizing the fluid flow rate, and using more efficient materials. Regular maintenance and cleaning can also help prevent fouling and maintain optimal thermal efficiency.