1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Flowing Through A Sectioned Rod! HELP!

1. May 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long rod, insulated to prevent heat loss along its sides, is in perfect thermal contact with boiling water (at atmospheric pressure) at one end and with an ice-water mixture at the other. The rod consists of a 1.00 section of copper (with one end in the boiling water) joined end-to-end to a length of steel (with one end in the ice water). Both sections of the rod have cross-sectional areas of 4.00 . The temperature of the copper-steel junction is 65.0 after a steady state has been reached.
    How much heat per second flows from the boiling water to the ice-water mixture?
    Express your answer in watts

2. Relevant equations

H=kAdT/L
    kcopper=385
    ksteel=50.2

3. The attempt at a solution

Hcopper=Hsteel
    Hcopper=385*0.04^2*35
    = 21.56W
    There's something wrong with this answer.. Can someone please help me?
    Thank you!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi tizzful,

In your expression you have squared 0.04 (which is (area/length) in meters); since they gave the area I don't believe that number should be squared.

4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Hello, yes I realized afterwards that its in cm squared and I need it in meters squared and therefore had to multiply it by 10^-4. Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?