Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat from inside the Earth causing global warming?

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1
    Could heat from inside the Earth be causing global warming? If more heat was rising from the ocean floors would we notice - particularly if it was only happening in a few small areas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2
    According to accepted theory, no.

Earth receives "all" the energy from sun. Earth is assumed to emitt all the radiation it receives (to form equilibrium) but some of this emitted energy gets trapped and re-radiated back to the surface by certain gasses (H2O, CH4, CO2, ....), which causes warming of the troposphere and makes life possible. Otherwise, the earth would be on average about 40 deg cooler than it is now.

4. Jan 26, 2007 #3
    How do we know the heat isn't coming from inside the Earth?

5. Jan 26, 2007 #4
    ---------------------

6. Jan 26, 2007 #5
    "Scientists have extensively measured the flow of heat from inside the earth"

Where did the scientists measure the flow of heat from inside the Earth?
    Heat could be coming from places that have not been surveyed.

7. Jan 26, 2007 #6
  8. Jan 26, 2007 #7
    That's a great web link.It would be interesting to know if the 24000 heat flow measurements have been made in the same places over a period of years
    to map any variability.Also the heat measurements on the sea relied on correction for hydrothermal loss and this would depend on hydrothermal loss models being accurate.I agree now that the heat contribution from the Earth's interior is insignificant.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  9. Jan 27, 2007 #8
    The heat from the interior is isignificant to global warming, but it makes the earth dynamic, without interior heat sources from the decay of radioactive nuclei we would'nt have plate tectonics and there wouldn't be any volcanoes or (at least much less) earthquakes

Edit: I just clicked on that link and it said pretty much what i said, although I wouldn't trust that link entirely seeing as nuclear fission is a process which absorbs energy!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  10. Jan 27, 2007 #9
    Perhaps there is a lot more to it, that internal heat. Plenty more.

11. Jan 27, 2007 #10
    Billiards said:

"Edit: I just clicked on that link and it said pretty much what i said, although I wouldn't trust that link entirely seeing as nuclear fission is a process which absorbs energy!

In any case,the heat from inside the Earth is generally thought to be a relic of its formation and not of fast-breeder type nuclear reactions as I read on Wikipedia.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?