Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat on heat shield. Friction or compression?

1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    I always thought of a reentry vehicle compressing the air in front of it. And that would cause a lot of heat kind of like filling my tires. But I keep hearing friction even from nasa heat shield experts. OK, I guess maybe 10% of the heat is friction. I always assumed they said that to make the concept easier. But I’ve heard it so much recently that I’m starting to think I’m wrong. Or maybe they’re the same thing in a way that I hadn’t understood yet. Can you straiten me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

The jargon is atmospheric heating, and its explanation is
    I am a sustaining contributor to The Wikimedia Foundation

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both are contributors. The heat is mostly generated through the compression but there is some that comes from viscous dissipation as well (or what you might call "friction"). The "friction" plays a great role in transferring that heat to the surface, however.

5. Dec 9, 2014 #4
    That's what I love about PF. Thanks guys. I did found some good stuff on "viscous dissipation"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook