1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat problem, determine mass of ice cube?

1. Jun 18, 2011 #1
    My answer is 12.9 grams, and the correct answer is supposed to be 11.9 grams. I cannot figure out why? Note. the answer i got is 12.9, and not 11.06. I know for this situation, the heat absorbed by the ice equals the heat lost by the water and aluminum, and since there is a phase change from a solid to liquid then i need the heat of fusion constant for solid water, which in kcal/kg which is 79.7. Now I am thinking that this is where my mistake is, because temperature remains constant during a phase change. Therefore, I cannot put 16-(-8.7)? I have to write it out into two separate m*c*deltaT's?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need two separate m*c*deltaT-s for the ice, as c of ice is different from that of water it becomes after melting.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook