Heat pumps and coeffiecent of performance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
rmorelan
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone, I was hoping to ask a thermodynamics problem, specificially one about heat pumps and coeffiecent of performance. I am wondering if I am missing something.

I am given that heat pump is heat a building. Inside temperature is to be maintained at 22 degree celsius, outside is -5.0 celsius. The coefficient of performance is 3.8, and the the pump delivers 7.6MJ of heat each hour to the building. I need to find out at what rate work needs to be applied to run the pump.

Homework Equations



Now I believe the equation of the the coeffiecient of performance (CP) is equal to:

cp = |Q|/W

Now this is where I am confused, as I don't understand what (if anything) I am supposed to do with the temperatures given. I know cp, and I know Q, so I can solve for W needed to run the pump can't I? I would need to convert the heat produced to be in SI in order to get Watts as a result of course.

thanks for your help!
rob
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If we treat the heat pump as a Carnot heat pump we can say that;

[tex]\frac{Q_2}{Q_1} = \frac{T_2}{T_2}[/tex]

Hence;

[tex]\eta^{HP}_{C} = \frac{Q_1}{W} = \frac{Q_1}{Q_1-Q_2} = \frac{T_1}{T_1-T_2}[/tex]

Where T1 and T2 are the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs respectively.