1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat question?the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to the product of its______ times the change in__________ times its__________

2. Relevant equations
    none that i know of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know the first blank or the third, but is the second heat?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

The second is not heat. Have you been given any equations in your classes when you've been talking about calorimetry? If not I suggest you look up calorimetry on google. You're bound to find the answer then.

4. May 28, 2009 #3
    Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

i looked it up on google and still didnt find the answer..

5. May 28, 2009 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? The first hit when I look up calorimetry has the equation you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimetry

6. May 28, 2009 #5

so the answer is energy, mass, and specific heat?

7. May 28, 2009 #6

You still need this part: the change in__________
    Not "energy." The heat IS energy.

8. May 28, 2009 #7

i dont know what that part is then

9. May 28, 2009 #8

change in temperature

10. May 28, 2009 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?