Heat question?the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

1. Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to the product of its______ times the change in__________ times its__________

2. Relevant equations
    none that i know of

3. The attempt at a solution
    I dont know the first blank or the third, but is the second heat?

2. jcsd
  3. Kurdt

Kurdt 4,941
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

The second is not heat. Have you been given any equations in your classes when you've been talking about calorimetry? If not I suggest you look up calorimetry on google. You're bound to find the answer then.

4. Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

i looked it up on google and still didnt find the answer..

5. Kurdt

Kurdt 4,941
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

Really? The first hit when I look up calorimetry has the equation you need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimetry

6. Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

so the answer is energy, mass, and specific heat?

7. Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

You still need this part: the change in__________
    Not "energy." The heat IS energy.

8. Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

i dont know what that part is then

9. Re: Heat question!??the amount of heat gained or lost by a substance is equal to

change in temperature

10. Kurdt

Kurdt 4,941
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?