Heat recovery from car radiator.

In summary: That would be the only thing I could think of (if your really into this) that would be useful and not to hard to implement.It would be a fun project but like everyone else said, it's not really worth it.In summary, a group of individuals discussed the possibility of capturing waste heat from the radiator of a car to pre-heat water or a radiant floor in an off-grid home. The main point was that it may not be worth the effort due to the limited amount of heat stored in the radiator. Other ideas were suggested, such as using an aftermarket electric water pump or a micro-cogeneration unit for greater efficiency. However, some individuals did mention the use of a "thermos
Brewnog said:
You'll smoke yourself out with exhaust fumes, and while you'll heat the garage, you won't heat the house effectively, or be able to heat water.

Brewnog, then the OP needs to reword his post. He said waste heat. That implies the primary use of the engine is something other than this form of heating. I took this to mean he was placing his car with a hot engine from driving it in the garage and turning it off. Then trying to capture the waste heat from the engine as it cools, which could be done simply as I said, by insulating the garage. This will give the house as much benefit as trying to transfer the heat to the house through a water piping system, without the difficulty of rigging up a radiator, transfer piping, pumps, etc.

OP said:
Trying to see if it is viable to capture waste heat from radiator of cars(s) to pre-heat water heater and or radiant floor.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are thermocouples in the engine attached to a space heater out of the question?