Air speed in car radiator -- Heat Exchange calculations

In summary: Nidum:So, you are saying that I can find the heat transfer coefficient by measuring the flow rate?Yes, that is correct.
r4m0n0
Hello, this is my first post. This question is related to my final thesis.

I'm calculating the heat exchange area of a radiator through heat exchange equations:

Q = U*A*LMTD

I have as data Q, and LMTD (this one through trivial calculations)

In order to calculate U, I need the coefficients for external and internal (both tubes and fins) convection.
Internal convection coefficient is quite easy to calculate.
My doubts come when trying to calculate the external convection coefficient. As you may know to calculate the coefficient you need the Reynolds number (amongst other things).
Reynolds depends on the fluid speed (in this case air speed) and in order to calculate it I thought of the following equation:

v=(V_dot_air)/(no.of tubes*area of tubes) --->

The thing is... this calculation doesn't take in account the fins of the radiator, thus not having an accurate value for velocity.
But if I took in account the area of the fins into the equation, the velocity of air would be very VERY slow.

Can anyone suggest a better way to calculate air speed through a car radiator?

Thanks in advance :)
cross_flow_square_fins.png

(Image enclosed: a simplification of a car radiator)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's forced convection not natural convection .

Mass flow and velocity of cooling air is primarily determined by the cooling fan and possibly by forward velocity of vehicle depending on ducting arrangement .

If you have data on Q and LMTD, then you have enough to calculate U experimentally. So why are you trying to calculate it from the flows?

Chet

@Nidum:

Yes, it is forced convection, I never said otherwise. I'm calculating the air velocity "from scratch" so in order to know how the ducting arrangement and the cooling fan type/size I must calculate before the air velocity.

@Chestermiller:

Calculate U experimentally? Can you give me more insight on that? I have no physical model, everything is theorical.

r4m0n0 said:
Calculate U experimentally? Can you give me more insight on that? I have no physical model, everything is theorical.
Oh. You didn't say that. OK, how do you know the coolant flow rate to get the heat transfer coefficient on the tube side?

There are definitely heat transfer correlations available for air flow across banks of finned tubes. But you need to do the research yourself to find them.

Chet

1. What is air speed in a car radiator?

The air speed in a car radiator refers to the velocity at which air flows through the radiator. This is an important factor in determining the efficiency of heat exchange within the radiator.

2. How is air speed in a car radiator measured?

Air speed in a car radiator can be measured using a tool called an anemometer. This device measures the velocity of air flow and can provide accurate readings of the air speed in the radiator.

3. Why is air speed important in heat exchange calculations?

Air speed is important in heat exchange calculations because it affects the rate at which heat is transferred from the engine to the air passing through the radiator. The higher the air speed, the more heat can be dissipated, resulting in better cooling performance.

4. How does air speed impact the efficiency of a car radiator?

The air speed directly impacts the efficiency of a car radiator. A higher air speed means that more air is passing through the radiator, resulting in better cooling performance and a more efficient heat exchange process. On the other hand, a lower air speed can lead to overheating and decreased efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the air speed in a car radiator?

Several factors can affect the air speed in a car radiator, including the speed of the car, the design and size of the radiator, and any obstructions that may be blocking the air flow. Weather conditions such as wind can also impact the air speed in the radiator.