Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer across an infinite plate of constant thickness

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    When modelling the heat transfer through a plate using fouriers equation, what difference would it make if the width and length of the plate were set to a specified value rather than being infinite?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2
    I don't understand how you consider width and length of heat exchanger to be infinite.

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    I read the following in a text book:

"The temperature in the tile is to be analysed by solving Fourier's equation numerically using a finite difference technique. To simplify the problem, the following two assumptions are made: It is modelled as a one-dimensional problem. Only heat flow across the 5cm thickness is considered. The tile is assumed to behave like an infinite plate of 5cm thickness"

I was just curious as to what difference it would make to the heat transfer if you considered a 3 dimensional model instead

5. Apr 4, 2015 #4
    I suppose it's like considering uniform effect over the heat exchanger plate. If it is considered finite then heat transfer via outer portion of that plate is difficult to analyse. I am not fully sure but I suppose it's like it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook