Heat transfer boundary condition

In summary, the book is not doing a very good job of explaining this. You need to focus rather on which temperature is situated at lower x, and which temperature is situated at higher x. This is because the heat flux is really a vector quantity. It should be accompanied by a unit vector in the x direction. If the ambient temperature is at lower x and the wall is at higher x (like say adjacent to the wall at x = 0), then the heat flux vector is $$\mathbf{q}=h(T_{ambient}-T_{wall})\mathbf{i_x}\tag{1}$$
EastWindBreaks

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-13_8-29-33.png

I am confused on how it's using the surrounding temperature minus the surface temperature as its the other way around in the Newton's law of cooling, Doing that would change the sign of convection right? I don't see the reason to do that, since if left side is hotter, then conduction is positive going from left to right.

Homework Equations

upload_2018-5-13_8-31-3.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-13_8-29-33.png
    upload_2018-5-13_8-29-33.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,468
  • upload_2018-5-13_8-31-3.png
    upload_2018-5-13_8-31-3.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 831
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the context for the form of Newton's Law that you quote? Seems to me that T here refers to the ambient temperature in the heat sink. In the image you post, T∞1 is the distal temperature in the heat source.

haruspex said:
What is the context for the form of Newton's Law that you quote? Seems to me that T here refers to the ambient temperature in the heat sink. In the image you post, T∞1 is the distal temperature in the heat source.
it's from here :
upload_2018-5-13_22-26-1.png

isn't distal temperature same as ambient temperature in this case? so I guess if surface is cooling, then we have to take surface temperature minus ambient temperature, if the surface is being heated, then we have to take the ambient temperature minus surface temperature? but sometimes even when the surface temperature is not given, the book still uses" ambient temperature minus surface temperature" on the left side of the wall. like this example from the book:
upload_2018-5-13_23-17-58.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-13_22-26-1.png
    upload_2018-5-13_22-26-1.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 657
  • upload_2018-5-13_23-17-58.png
    upload_2018-5-13_23-17-58.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 487
EastWindBreaks said:
isn't distal temperature same as ambient temperature in this case?
Yes, but as I posted, one equation is looking at the ambient temperature in the heat source, while the other, Newton, is looking at the ambient temperature in the heat sink.

Likes EastWindBreaks
Your book isn't doing a very good job of explaining this. It has led you think in terms of which temperature is higher in a particular problem and which temperature is lower. This is not the proper way of analyzing this. You need to focus rather on which temperature is situated at lower x, and which temperature is situated at higher x. This is because the heat flux is really a vector quantity. In reality, it should be accompanied by a unit vector in the x direction. If the ambient temperature is at lower x and the wall is at higher x (like say adjacent to the wall at x = 0), then the heat flux vector is $$\mathbf{q}=h(T_{ambient}-T_{wall})\mathbf{i_x}\tag{1}$$It doesn't matter which temperature is higher and which temperature is lower. The temperature at smaller x comes first and the temperature at higher x comes last. Similarly, at the boundary x = L, the wall temperature is situated at lower x than then ambient. Therefore, at that boundary, $$\mathbf{q}=h(T_{wall}-T_{ambient})\mathbf{i_x}\tag{2}$$It doesn't matter which temperature is higher and which temperature is lower.

In Eqn. 1, if the wall temperature is higher than the ambient temperature, all that means is the the heat flux is in the negative x direction (rather than the positive x direction).

Likes EastWindBreaks
Chestermiller said:
Your book isn't doing a very good job of explaining this. It has led you think in terms of which temperature is higher in a particular problem and which temperature is lower. This is not the proper way of analyzing this. You need to focus rather on which temperature is situated at lower x, and which temperature is situated at higher x. This is because the heat flux is really a vector quantity. In reality, it should be accompanied by a unit vector in the x direction. If the ambient temperature is at lower x and the wall is at higher x (like say adjacent to the wall at x = 0), then the heat flux vector is $$\mathbf{q}=h(T_{ambient}-T_{wall})\mathbf{i_x}\tag{1}$$It doesn't matter which temperature is higher and which temperature is lower. The temperature at smaller x comes first and the temperature at higher x comes last. Similarly, at the boundary x = L, the wall temperature is situated at lower x than then ambient. Therefore, at that boundary, $$\mathbf{q}=h(T_{wall}-T_{ambient})\mathbf{i_x}\tag{2}$$It doesn't matter which temperature is higher and which temperature is lower.

In Eqn. 1, if the wall temperature is higher than the ambient temperature, all that means is the the heat flux is in the negative x direction (rather than the positive x direction).
wow, you are right, I got stuck on trying to write that term base on which temperature is higher and which is lower, thank you very much for the awesome explanation!

1. What is a heat transfer boundary condition?

A heat transfer boundary condition is a set of rules or conditions that describe how heat is transferred between different systems or regions. It defines the behavior of heat at the interface between two systems, such as a solid and a fluid, or between two fluids. It is an important concept in heat transfer analysis and plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting heat transfer processes.

2. What are the different types of heat transfer boundary conditions?

There are three main types of heat transfer boundary conditions: Dirichlet, Neumann, and Robin. A Dirichlet boundary condition specifies the temperature or heat flux at the boundary, a Neumann boundary condition specifies the heat flux at the boundary, and a Robin boundary condition is a combination of the two, specifying both the temperature and heat flux at the boundary.

3. How are heat transfer boundary conditions determined?

Heat transfer boundary conditions are determined by considering the physical properties of the materials involved, the geometry of the system, and the external conditions such as temperature, pressure, and flow. They can also be experimentally measured or calculated using mathematical models and simulations.

4. What is the importance of heat transfer boundary conditions in practical applications?

Heat transfer boundary conditions are crucial in practical applications as they help engineers and scientists design and optimize systems for efficient heat transfer. They also play a critical role in predicting and controlling heat transfer processes, such as in HVAC systems, engines, and electronic devices.

5. Can heat transfer boundary conditions change?

Yes, heat transfer boundary conditions can change depending on the conditions of the system. For example, if the external temperature or flow rate changes, the boundary conditions may also need to be adjusted to accurately model the heat transfer process. In some cases, the boundary conditions may also change as a result of a phase change or a change in the material properties of the system.