Heat transfer problem (no solving needed, just need advice)

In summary, the person is asking for help in finding the area (A) to use in the equation for thermal resistance for convection, which is R= 1/hA. They have a thickness of 4 meters, but no given area. They are wondering if thermal conductivity could be part of the problem.
williamx11373
I need to use the equation ( thermal resistance for convection)

R= 1/hA

but I am not given an Area, I am only given 4 meters as a thickness. how do I find A to use for the equation to solve for R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
williamx11373 said:
I need to use the equation ( thermal resistance for convection)

R= 1/hA

but I am not given an Area, I am only given 4 meters as a thickness. how do I find A to use for the equation to solve for R.
Why not give us the whole problem? It is pretty hard to figure out what you are talking about from what you have written. Is it possible that thermal conductivity could be part of the problem?

AM

What is the main question. What you have given is unclear.

1. How do I determine the type of heat transfer problem?

There are three types of heat transfer: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves. To determine the type of heat transfer problem, you must consider the material involved and the presence of a fluid.

2. What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by several factors including the temperature difference between two objects, the thermal conductivity of the material, the surface area and distance between the objects, and the presence of any insulating materials.

3. How do I calculate the rate of heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer, also known as heat flux, is calculated using the following formula: Q/t = kA(T2-T1)/d where Q is the heat transfer rate, t is the time, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, T2-T1 is the temperature difference, and d is the distance between the two objects.

4. What is the difference between steady-state and transient heat transfer?

Steady-state heat transfer refers to a condition where the temperature difference between two objects remains constant over time. Transient heat transfer, on the other hand, refers to a situation where the temperature difference changes over time. Transient heat transfer problems require more complex calculations.

5. How do I solve a heat transfer problem?

To solve a heat transfer problem, you must first identify the type of heat transfer and gather all necessary information such as material properties and boundary conditions. Next, you can use mathematical equations or software to calculate the rate of heat transfer. It is important to double-check your calculations and consider any assumptions made during the problem-solving process.