Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Held magnetic device close to head dangerous?

  1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    So I briefly rested the side of my head on the back of my iPad. It had its magnetic smart cover attached, which has many small rare earth permanent magnets (type of magnets unconfirmed). My head was rested near the speaker (having its own magnetic properties) and smart cover magnetic attachment.

    After I did this, I thought about it later and realized that the interaction between these magnets and my brain could be bad.

    I know that MRIs are used with stronger magnets, but at the same time, as far as I know, those magnets aren't as close to your head (and the magnetic strength decreases by distance squared away, correct?)

    So, did I fry anything in my head?

    Here's more details about the magnets in the iPad, iPad smart cover:
    "link" [Broken]

    Interesting clips:

    Thanks!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

    arildno

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    I held my butter knife somewhat close to my penis this morning.
    Am I in danger????
     
  4. Mar 24, 2012 #3
    ^ possibly...
     
  5. Mar 24, 2012 #4
    The iron in your blood is attracted to the magnet. When you rested the side of your head on the ipad you nourished one side of your brain while starving the other. The way I understand it, if you rested the left side of your brain you can expect a Nobel prize come December. However if it was the right side ... Well, it's better you don't ask, it's not pretty.
     
  6. Mar 24, 2012 #5

    arildno

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

    but what about my butter knife??
     
  7. Mar 24, 2012 #6
    Awww take it easy on the OP, they are obviously worried. I think you can take from the other comments that there isnothing to worry about.
    I don't think you have anything to worry about with the butter knife... whats the difference between being 0.00000000000000000000000000000000002 mm and 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001 mm? Bdum tsh!
     
  8. Mar 24, 2012 #7
    butter knife .. !! Oh I misread better half.
     
  9. Mar 24, 2012 #8

    BobG

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

    As long as you haven't swallowed the magnets, you should be all right.

    If you've swallowed a bunch of small magnets, you could be in trouble! The danger is that the small magnets will chain together, meaning you've actually swallowed a rather long, bulky chain. Or, worse still, portions of your internal organs become pinched between the magnets.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/health/12magn.html


    Not a good thing to do!
     
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  10. Mar 24, 2012 #9

    Pengwuino

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    vastly stronger magnets. Also, magnetic fields do not fall off as [itex]1/r^2 [/itex] for all applications. In fact, a solenoid has a constant magnetic field in its core.

    As others have said, just don't eat them :)

    http://www.wltx.com/news/watercooler/article/177250/363/3-year-old-Swallows-37-Buckyball-Magnets-Survives [Broken]

    Dang, bob beat me to it.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Held magnetic device close to head dangerous?
  1. Psychotronic device (Replies: 1)

  2. Close Call (Replies: 12)

  3. For Danger (Replies: 8)

  4. That was a close one (Replies: 28)

Loading...