Held magnetic device close to head dangerous?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the potential dangers of the magnets in an iPad and its smart cover, as well as a butter knife, when in close proximity to one's head or body. The discussion also touched on the differences between the magnetic strength of these magnets and those used in MRI machines, as well as the potential risks of swallowing small magnets. Overall, the consensus was that as long as one does not ingest the magnets, there is no need to worry about any harmful effects.
wonder1
So I briefly rested the side of my head on the back of my iPad. It had its magnetic smart cover attached, which has many small rare Earth permanent magnets (type of magnets unconfirmed). My head was rested near the speaker (having its own magnetic properties) and smart cover magnetic attachment.

After I did this, I thought about it later and realized that the interaction between these magnets and my brain could be bad.

I know that MRIs are used with stronger magnets, but at the same time, as far as I know, those magnets aren't as close to your head (and the magnetic strength decreases by distance squared away, correct?)

So, did I fry anything in my head?

Here's more details about the magnets in the iPad, iPad smart cover:
"link"

Interesting clips:

About 10 seconds after we took the second picture, the magnets naturally gravitated towards one another and fused together -- they're very strong!

We just can't keep these things off of one another! The iPad 2's frame magnets made a solid two inch leap across the table by the time we took the shot. Their attraction for one another is amazing!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I held my butter knife somewhat close to my penis this morning.
Am I in danger?

^ possibly...

The iron in your blood is attracted to the magnet. When you rested the side of your head on the ipad you nourished one side of your brain while starving the other. The way I understand it, if you rested the left side of your brain you can expect a Nobel prize come December. However if it was the right side ... Well, it's better you don't ask, it's not pretty.

Jimmy Snyder said:
The iron in your blood is attracted to the magnet. When you rested the side of your head on the ipad you nourished one side of your brain while starving the other. The way I understand it, if you rested the left side of your brain you can expect a Nobel prize come December. However if it was the right side ... Well, it's better you don't ask, it's not pretty.
but what about my butter knife??

Awww take it easy on the OP, they are obviously worried. I think you can take from the other comments that there isnothing to worry about.
I don't think you have anything to worry about with the butter knife... what's the difference between being 0.00000000000000000000000000000000002 mm and 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001 mm? Bdum tsh!

arildno said:
but what about my butter knife??

butter knife .. ! Oh I misread better half.

As long as you haven't swallowed the magnets, you should be all right.

If you've swallowed a bunch of small magnets, you could be in trouble! The danger is that the small magnets will chain together, meaning you've actually swallowed a rather long, bulky chain. Or, worse still, portions of your internal organs become pinched between the magnets.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/health/12magn.html

Not a good thing to do!

Last edited:
wonder1 said:
I know that MRIs are used with stronger magnets, but at the same time, as far as I know, those magnets aren't as close to your head (and the magnetic strength decreases by distance squared away, correct?)

vastly stronger magnets. Also, magnetic fields do not fall off as [itex]1/r^2 [/itex] for all applications. In fact, a solenoid has a constant magnetic field in its core.

As others have said, just don't eat them :)

http://www.wltx.com/news/watercooler/article/177250/363/3-year-old-Swallows-37-Buckyball-Magnets-Survives

Dang, bob beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can holding a magnetic device close to my head be harmful?

Yes, holding a magnetic device close to your head can be potentially harmful. The strength of the magnetic field and the duration of exposure can determine the extent of the potential harm.

2. What are the potential risks of using a held magnetic device near my head?

The potential risks of using a held magnetic device near your head include headaches, dizziness, and nausea. In extreme cases, it can also cause damage to brain tissue and affect cognitive function.

3. How strong does the magnetic field have to be to cause harm?

The strength of the magnetic field needed to cause harm varies depending on the individual's sensitivity and the duration of exposure. However, it is generally recommended to avoid exposure to magnetic fields stronger than 0.5 tesla.

4. Are there any long-term effects of using a held magnetic device close to my head?

There is limited research on the long-term effects of using held magnetic devices close to the head. However, some studies suggest that long-term exposure to magnetic fields can lead to an increased risk of developing certain health conditions, such as brain tumors.

5. Are there any safety precautions I can take when using a held magnetic device near my head?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions you can take when using a held magnetic device near your head. These include limiting the duration of exposure, keeping the device at least 6 inches away from your head, and avoiding using the device if you have a pacemaker or other medical implants.