Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helicity states degrees of freedom

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    Hello,

1)Why does the number of helicity states depend on space-time dimension ?

Masselss graviton in 4 dimensional space has 2 helicity states ( 2 degrees of freedom). In 5 dimensional space it has (still massless in 5 D) 5 helicity states (5 degrees of freedom) ....

In 6 dimesional space according to formula d(d-3)/2 it has 9 helicity states .... but beeing a particle of spin s=2 it has 2s+1=5 states so where from are the additional 4 helicity states...

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2
    If you recall that in 4d for the photon only 2 transverse modes which can be picturized to be the left and right circularly polarized. For d-dimensions there are d-2 transverse directions and so according to me the number of degrees of freedom i.e. the number of helicities ought to be 2 * (no. of polarizations mixing two transverse directions) = 2* (d-2)(d-3)/2= (d-2)(d-3). Can you refer me the text/paper from where you quoted the helicities = d*(d-3)/2 formula.

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Tomas Ortin gravity and strings page 295

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4
    Ah I see that now. Thats just the number of independent components (polarizations) of an (p+1)-antisymmetric tensor in (d-2) transverse dimensions i.e. (d-2) C _(p+1) = (d-2)!/(p+1)!(d-p-3)! while the massive case you can have longitudinal modes so you count the number of components of an antisymmetric tensor with (p+1) indices in (d-1) spatial directions i.e. (d-1)C_(p+1).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook