1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind turbine: Optimum pitch angle changes at different wind speeds

1. Oct 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As part of a school project, I'm investigating the optimum blade pitch angle for a simple 6-blade wind turbine, powered by the air flow from a desk fan. I have taken power output measurements using angles in 5° intervals from 0° to 30° and found the optimum to be 20° in 5 different wind speeds. No surprises there.

However, at the lower wind speeds, the turbine was more efficient at higher pitch angles (ie. 25° outperformed 15°) and at higher wind speeds, the shallower angles were better. I cannot find a way to explain this short of putting it down to experimental error, as it seems to me that the opposite should be true due to stalling etc. The only reason I am reluctant to dismiss it as such is that the correlation occurred consistently through 5 different wind speeds (one of which in the middle was nearer symmetrical, showing 15° and 25° to be almost equal).

Is this result significant in any way, or just an outcome of experimental uncertainty?

Averaging the data and graphing, two wind speed examples:

upload_2014-10-16_12-42-21.png

Red line - 15°
    Green line - 25°

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution
    Much googling to no avail...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2014 #2

NTW

The key angle for the elementary aerodynamic force developed by a blade element of an airfoil is not the pitch, but the angle of attack. It is a function of the pitch, the angular velocity, the wind velocity and the twist of the blade at a given station. Every elementary force (for a very small station of the blade) will result in an elementary torque. The sum of all those elementary torques along the blade will result in a total torque per blade. That, multiplied by the angular velocity, would give you the theoretical power per blade.

I am sorry, but I believe that too much simplification will lead to false results... Wind turbines (and propellers, their near relatives) are very complex things...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted