Wind turbine: Optimum pitch angle changes at different wind speeds

In summary, the speaker is conducting a school project to determine the optimum blade pitch angle for a 6-blade wind turbine. They found that the optimum angle is 20° in 5 different wind speeds, but at lower wind speeds, higher pitch angles were more efficient and at higher wind speeds, shallower angles were better. The speaker is unsure how to explain this and wonders if it could be due to experimental error. They also mention that the key angle for aerodynamic force is the angle of attack, not the pitch. They conclude that simplification can lead to false results when studying wind turbines.
trc97

Homework Statement

As part of a school project, I'm investigating the optimum blade pitch angle for a simple 6-blade wind turbine, powered by the air flow from a desk fan. I have taken power output measurements using angles in 5° intervals from 0° to 30° and found the optimum to be 20° in 5 different wind speeds. No surprises there.

However, at the lower wind speeds, the turbine was more efficient at higher pitch angles (ie. 25° outperformed 15°) and at higher wind speeds, the shallower angles were better. I cannot find a way to explain this short of putting it down to experimental error, as it seems to me that the opposite should be true due to stalling etc. The only reason I am reluctant to dismiss it as such is that the correlation occurred consistently through 5 different wind speeds (one of which in the middle was nearer symmetrical, showing 15° and 25° to be almost equal).

Is this result significant in any way, or just an outcome of experimental uncertainty?

Averaging the data and graphing, two wind speed examples:

upload_2014-10-16_12-42-21.png

Red line - 15°
Green line - 25°

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Much googling to no avail...

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-16_12-26-0.png
    upload_2014-10-16_12-26-0.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 523
  • upload_2014-10-16_12-36-38.png
    upload_2014-10-16_12-36-38.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 462
Physics news on Phys.org
The key angle for the elementary aerodynamic force developed by a blade element of an airfoil is not the pitch, but the angle of attack. It is a function of the pitch, the angular velocity, the wind velocity and the twist of the blade at a given station. Every elementary force (for a very small station of the blade) will result in an elementary torque. The sum of all those elementary torques along the blade will result in a total torque per blade. That, multiplied by the angular velocity, would give you the theoretical power per blade.

I am sorry, but I believe that too much simplification will lead to false results... Wind turbines (and propellers, their near relatives) are very complex things...

1. What is the purpose of changing the pitch angle of a wind turbine?

The pitch angle of a wind turbine refers to the angle at which the blades are tilted in relation to the oncoming wind. Changing the pitch angle allows the turbine to capture maximum energy from the wind at different wind speeds.

2. How does the optimum pitch angle change at different wind speeds?

The optimum pitch angle changes at different wind speeds because the amount of wind energy available for the turbine to capture varies with wind speed. Therefore, the blades need to be adjusted to maintain an optimal angle for maximum energy conversion.

3. What happens if the pitch angle is not adjusted at different wind speeds?

If the pitch angle is not adjusted at different wind speeds, the turbine may not be able to capture the maximum amount of energy available, resulting in lower efficiency and energy production. This can also put unnecessary strain on the turbine's components, potentially leading to mechanical failures.

4. How is the optimum pitch angle determined?

The optimum pitch angle is determined through various factors such as wind speed, air density, and blade design. Wind tunnel testing and computer simulations are commonly used to determine the optimal angle for a specific wind turbine model.

5. Can the pitch angle be adjusted automatically?

Yes, many modern wind turbines have automatic pitch control systems that continuously monitor wind conditions and adjust the pitch angle accordingly. This allows for optimal energy production and protects the turbine from potential damage caused by high winds.