What is the optimum pitch angle for ceiling fan blade design?

• Thread starter Pang Chun Wai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Design Fan
In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a high efficiency ceiling fan blade with an airfoil section, taper, and twist. The question is raised about obtaining optimum pitch angle for different sections of the blade. Some doubt is expressed about the practicality of using an airfoil shape for a ceiling fan blade, but eventually, it is shown that it is indeed possible and can lead to impressive performance. The speaker encourages the questioner to wait for a response from someone else.
Pang Chun Wai
For the final year project that i am doing, I need to design a high efficiency ceiling fan blade with airfoil section, tapered and also twisting. Can anyone tell me how can i obtain the optimum pitch angle for different section of my ceiling fan blade?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I doubt that an "airfoil section" will make much difference over a flat angled blade in a ceiling fan situation. Most use very broad "paddles" as opposed to "propellors" such as an aeroplane would have. They just don't spin fast enough to use a narrow blade. It's hard to impart an airfoil shape to a fat one. I might be missing something here, though, so wait for a response from someone else.

Danger said:
I doubt that an "airfoil section" will make much difference over a flat angled blade in a ceiling fan situation. Most use very broad "paddles" as opposed to "propellors" such as an aeroplane would have. They just don't spin fast enough to use a narrow blade. It's hard to impart an airfoil shape to a fat one. I might be missing something here, though, so wait for a response from someone else.
no one is replying me...zzzzzz.. tis article have show that the airfoil section for ceiling fan blade is practical

Attachments

• Development of a High Efficiency Ceiling Fan (1).pdf
    515.1 KB · Views: 820
I stand corrected, and am actually quite impressed by those figures. In my defence, I didn't realize that the blades started with a 6.5" chord and then tapered down. I was envisioning about half of that.
Hang in there; somebody is eventually going to show up.

Related to What is the optimum pitch angle for ceiling fan blade design?

What is the purpose of ceiling fan blade design?

The purpose of ceiling fan blade design is to move air efficiently and create a cooling breeze. The design of the blades affects the amount of air that is moved, as well as the direction and speed of the air flow.

How do ceiling fan blades affect air movement?

The angle, shape, and size of the blades all play a role in the amount of air that is moved by a ceiling fan. Blades with a steeper angle will move more air, while longer blades will have a greater reach. The shape of the blades can also impact the direction of the air flow.

What is the ideal number of blades for a ceiling fan?

The ideal number of blades for a ceiling fan is typically between 3-5. Having too many or too few blades can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the fan. However, the number of blades is not the only factor that affects air movement, so it is important to consider other design elements as well.

Does the material of the blades make a difference?

Yes, the material of the blades can impact the performance of a ceiling fan. For example, wooden blades are typically quieter than metal blades, but they can also be less efficient. Plastic blades are often the most cost-effective option and can provide good air movement.

Can I customize the design of my ceiling fan blades?

Yes, there are many options for customizing the design of ceiling fan blades. Some companies offer different blade shapes, sizes, and finishes. You can also purchase replacement blades to change the look of your ceiling fan. However, it is important to consider the impact these changes may have on the function of the fan.