• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Hello, I am in desperate need to solve this problem involving different tensions

• Thread starter Mathguy197
  • Start date
ok, and object is hanging on two strings. The object weights 20 kg and the angle of the two strings are different, one of them is 60 and the other one is 70. There are no other forces in it. I need to figure out the tension of each string.

Please help me

Answers and Replies

Hi!
I'm not completely sure of this, so take what I say with a pinch (handful, even) of salt.

The system is at rest, so to find the tension it's going to be the weight that the string is holding. To find that i would be using rectangular components of a force, taking the weight of the object as the vertical component and the 70 and 60's as the angles.

This question should be in the homework section and you need to show your attempt at the solution before anyone can help you.

this isint homework... im in 8th... im not learning this yet... i go to this enrichment program and im completely lost... so yeah, if you know the answer. Please help me

If it's work you're doing in your home it's homework :wink: - that's the literal part dealt with.

The forum rules are quite clear regarding homework/textbook questions.

You must show your attempt before anyone can give guidance. Regardless, we are not allowed to simply give the answer.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
this isint homework... im in 8th... im not learning this yet... i go to this enrichment program and im completely lost... so yeah, if you know the answer. Please help me
Nevertheless, as Jared indicated, it is homework, and those doing homework are expected to demonstrate effort and show work.

If the mass is at rest, as is indicated by hanging, then this is a statics problem. One should look at the forces acting on the mass. The sum for forces must equal zero, since the mass is not moving.

In order for the sum of the forces to be zero, what must be the condition on the components of the forces in the vertical and horizontal?