1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helloi have an image and want to show its matrix represenation.

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Hello
    i have an image and want to show its matrix represenation..can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2
    Re: matrix

so noone is wiling to help me?:S
    wince i have joigned this forum,noone helped me:S
    it is my first year and i really am in need of your help:S

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

You mean you want to find the matrix representation of a linear transformation? You have to tell us more info than that if you want help. Without elaboration it's like asking how to find [tex]\int f(x) dx[/tex] without saying what f(x) is.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

i have an image a pciture in grayscale and black,and i need to show the matrix represenation of the image (matrix should be in decimal)

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Oh you mean that type of image. In that case, upload your picture on a image-hosting service like imageshack.us and post the image link here.

7. Nov 15, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm posting your PM here since I can't address questions by PM:

8. Nov 15, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

qwerty, you'll first have to show us what your thoughts are on solving this before getting help. It's PF policy, you show an attempt towards solving it first.

You must have some idea what is involved with this problem. It's a 16x16 pixel image.

9. Nov 15, 2008 #8

i think i should replace every black square with 0 and every white square with 1 right?

10. Nov 15, 2008 #9

The question asks you for the matrix representation. So you need to first figure out the dimensions of your matrix and based on the info given you should know how many rows / columns that matrix should have. And each pixel directly represents an entry in the matrix. You need to figure out what value to put for each entry in the matrix (e.g., "pixel") and the info tells you how to make the translation from pixel color -> numerical value.

So yes, you are correct that you must replace every black square with 0...but that's not it. Read the text under the image.

11. Nov 15, 2008 #10

ok so i have 16 rows and 16 colums and then..?

12. Nov 15, 2008 #11

Yes...

13. Nov 15, 2008 #12

decimal of 0 is 0 right?
    and decimal of 1 is 1?

14. Nov 15, 2008 #13

Yes, the above is correct, but the problem tells you something different.

"The number of bits used to represent gray scale is 2, with all zeros being black, and all ones being white."

15. Nov 15, 2008 #14

so?what do they mean?

16. Nov 15, 2008 #15

what is the total number of bits needed? is it 16*16*2 or 16*16*4?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  17. Nov 15, 2008 #16

How many pixels aka matrix entries do you have? How many bits does each take up?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?