Helloi have an image and want to show its matrix represenation.

In summary, the author is asking for help with figuring out the matrix representation of an image. They have an image in grayscale and black, and want to show its matrix representation. They must first figure out the dimensions of the matrix and based on the information given they know how many rows / columns the matrix should have. They need to figure out what value to put for each entry in the matrix (e.g., "pixel") and the info tells them how to make the translation from pixel color -> numerical value.
qwerty321
Hello
i have an image and want to show its matrix represenation..can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org

so no one is wiling to help me?:S
wince i have joigned this forum,noone helped me:S
it is my first year and i really am in need of your help:S

You mean you want to find the matrix representation of a linear transformation? You have to tell us more info than that if you want help. Without elaboration it's like asking how to find [tex]\int f(x) dx[/tex] without saying what f(x) is.

Last edited:

i have an image a pciture in grayscale and black,and i need to show the matrix represenation of the image (matrix should be in decimal)

Oh you mean that type of image. In that case, upload your picture on a image-hosting service like imageshack.us and post the image link here.

qwerty, you'll first have to show us what your thoughts are on solving this before getting help. It's PF policy, you show an attempt towards solving it first.

You must have some idea what is involved with this problem. It's a 16x16 pixel image.

i think i should replace every black square with 0 and every white square with 1 right?

qwerty321 said:
i think i should replace every black square with 0 and every white square with 1 right?

The question asks you for the matrix representation. So you need to first figure out the dimensions of your matrix and based on the info given you should know how many rows / columns that matrix should have. And each pixel directly represents an entry in the matrix. You need to figure out what value to put for each entry in the matrix (e.g., "pixel") and the info tells you how to make the translation from pixel color -> numerical value.

So yes, you are correct that you must replace every black square with 0...but that's not it. Read the text under the image.

ok so i have 16 rows and 16 colums and then..?

Yes...

decimal of 0 is 0 right?
and decimal of 1 is 1?

qwerty321 said:
decimal of 0 is 0 right?
and decimal of 1 is 1?

Yes, the above is correct, but the problem tells you something different.

"The number of bits used to represent gray scale is 2, with all zeros being black, and all ones being white."

so?what do they mean?

what is the total number of bits needed? is it 16*16*2 or 16*16*4?

Last edited:

How many pixels aka matrix entries do you have? How many bits does each take up?

1. What is a matrix representation of an image?

A matrix representation of an image is a grid of numbers that represent the pixels in an image. Each number in the matrix corresponds to a specific pixel in the image, and the overall matrix gives a structured representation of the different colors and shades in the image.

2. How is an image converted into a matrix representation?

An image can be converted into a matrix representation using specialized software or programming languages. The image is first divided into smaller sections, and then each section is assigned a numerical value based on its color and brightness. These values are then organized into a matrix to create the final representation.

3. What is the purpose of using a matrix representation for an image?

A matrix representation allows for easier manipulation and processing of an image. Since each pixel is represented by a number, mathematical operations such as blurring, sharpening, and resizing can be performed on the matrix to alter the image. It also allows for efficient storage and transmission of images.

4. Can a matrix representation accurately represent all types of images?

A matrix representation is most commonly used for digital images, such as photographs or graphics. However, it may not be suitable for representing more complex or abstract images, such as paintings or drawings, which may require a different method of representation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a matrix representation for images?

One limitation of using a matrix representation is that it can result in loss of detail and quality when the image is resized or manipulated. This is because the values in the matrix are rounded off, leading to a loss of information. Additionally, it may not accurately represent images with a wide range of colors or shades, as the matrix may not have enough values to accurately represent each one.