HELP A problem on electric energy storage

In summary, when two capacitors are connected in parallel and then connected to a battery, the total stored energy is 5.0 times greater than when they are connected in series and then connected to the same battery. The equation for energy stored in a capacitor is U=1/2*(Q^2/C) and the Attempt at a Solution is to combine the energy of capacitor 1 with the energy of capacitor 2.
Kudo Shinichi
HELP!A problem on electric energy storage

Homework Statement

when two capacitors are connected in parallel and then connected to a battery, the total stored energy is 5.0 times greater than when they are connected in series and then connected to the same battery. What is the ratio of the two capacitances?(Before the battery is connected in each case, the capacitors are fully discharged)

Homework Equations

The equation for energy stored in a capacitor is U=1/2*(Q^2/C)

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation for capacitor connected in parallel wires: C=C1+C2
the equation for capacitor connected in series: C=(1/C1)+(1/C2)
The energy of capacitor connected in parallel is 1/2*(Q^2/C1)+1/2*(Q^2/C2)
the energy of capacitor connected in series is 1/2*(C1*Q^2)+1/2*(C2*Q^2)
Parallel energy/series energy=5
(1/2*(Q^2/C1)+1/2*(Q^2/C2))/(1/2*(C1*Q^2)+1/2*(C2*Q^2))=5

(Q^2/C)/(C*Q^2)=5
C=sqrt(1/5)=0.45

I am not really sure whether I did it correctly or not. Can I combine the energy of capacitor 1 with energy of capacitor 2?

Somebody please help me with it. thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org

I don't know if this will help, but I hope it will get you started.
You must write an expression for the energy in the series circuit and another expression for the energy in the parallel circuit. Both will have V, C1 and C2 in them. Pesonally I always use E = 1/2*C*V^2 rather than that one with a Q in it.

Then you write that the parallel energy = 5*series energy.
Play with the resulting expression and see if you can solve it. No doubt it will be easier if you can divide by something to get rid of all individual C1 and C2 variables and only have the one variable C1/C2 which you can call x. It will look much easier when you have an equation involving x, which you are used to working with.

Delphi51 said:
I don't know if this will help, but I hope it will get you started.
You must write an expression for the energy in the series circuit and another expression for the energy in the parallel circuit. Both will have V, C1 and C2 in them. Pesonally I always use E = 1/2*C*V^2 rather than that one with a Q in it.

Then you write that the parallel energy = 5*series energy.
Play with the resulting expression and see if you can solve it. No doubt it will be easier if you can divide by something to get rid of all individual C1 and C2 variables and only have the one variable C1/C2 which you can call x. It will look much easier when you have an equation involving x, which you are used to working with.

Buthow can I get rid of V? V is also an unknown variable for this question.
1/2*C1*V^2+1/2*C2*V^2=5*(1/2*1/C1*V^2+1/2*1/C2*V^2)
so do I use this to solve for the ratio?

There appears to be something wrong on the right side for the series capacitance.
This "C=(1/C1)+(1/C2) " that you used is not correct - it should be
1/C=(1/C1)+(1/C2) or C = (C1*C2)/(C1 + C2)

Divide both sides by V^2 and it is gone!

1/2*C1*V^2+1/2*C2*V^2=5*(1/2*(C1*C2)/(C1 + C2)*V^2)
Divide both sides by V^2
1/2C1+1/2C2=5/2((C1*C2)/(C1 + C2))
½(C1+C2)^2=5/2(C1*C2)
(C1+C2)^2=5(C1*C2)
C1^2+2C1*C2+C2^2=5C1*C2
C1^2-3C1C2+C2^2=0
Then use the quadratic equation to find out C right?

1. What is electric energy storage?

Electric energy storage is the process of storing electrical energy in the form of a chemical, mechanical, or electrical resource. This allows for the energy to be used at a later time when it is needed.

2. Why is electric energy storage important?

Electric energy storage is important because it allows for the efficient use of electricity, and helps to balance the supply and demand of energy. It also enables the integration of renewable energy sources into the grid, reducing our reliance on fossil fuels.

3. What are some methods of electric energy storage?

Some common methods of electric energy storage include batteries, pumped hydro storage, compressed air energy storage, and thermal energy storage. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best method will depend on the specific needs of the system.

4. What are the challenges of electric energy storage?

One of the main challenges of electric energy storage is finding cost-effective and efficient methods for storing large quantities of energy. Another challenge is ensuring the safety and reliability of the storage systems. Additionally, the integration of energy storage into existing energy infrastructure can be complex and require significant investment.

5. How can electric energy storage contribute to a more sustainable future?

Electric energy storage can contribute to a more sustainable future by enabling the use of renewable energy sources, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels, and increasing the efficiency of energy usage. It also has the potential to provide backup power during outages and stabilize the grid, making our energy systems more resilient.