1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP A question on Kinematics in 2D & 3D?

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    HELP!!! A question on Kinematics in 2D & 3D?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A gun is placed at the base of a hill whose slope makes an angle alpha with the horizontal. If the gun is set at an angle theta with the horizontal and has a muzzle velocity Vo, find the distance, measured along the hill, at which the bullet will fall.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to separate this question in to two equations/ two 1D problems (x-axis and y axis)
    Velocity for x = Vo* cos(Θ-α) - g * t * sin(α)
    X = Xo + Vo * t * cos(Θ-α) - 0.5 * g * t^2 * sin(α)
    Velocity for y = Vo* sin(Θ-α) - g * t * cos(α)
    Y = Yo + Vo * t * sin(Θ-α) - 0.5 * g * t^2 * cos(α)

But how can i figure out Vo, Θ, α, Xo, t and Yo

Please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: HELP!!! A question on Kinematics in 2D & 3D?

Seems you've set your axes up so that the x axis runs along the slope. What condition occurs at the point of impact that you can use. That is, what will the value of the y axis be?

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

Do you mean set subsitute one of the variable in y equation from x equation?

5. Sep 22, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. What will the y position be with the coordinates you chose when the ball lands? You can then get an expression for the flight time and sub it into the x equation which will give you the distance when t is the total flight time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?