Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help about reliability of a compressor

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    hi,

can someone tell me what environmental conditions affect the output and reliability of the compressor components ??

thanks
    barbo

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Duty cycle, air cleanliness, lubrication quality, contaminants, pressure trends, thermal cycling, shock loading, temperature....

4. Dec 13, 2006 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It depends on the type of compressor. Flooded compressors last quite a bit longer than oil-free. The most basic factors that effect performance are humidity, elevation and cleanliness of the air.

5. Dec 13, 2006 #4
    the compressor is tandem compressor and it is single acting double stage. can you please tell me what these factors (humidity, elevation..)do wrong to the compressor ??

thanks

6. Dec 13, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The big one would be inlet air condition. Having a proper inlet filtration prevents erosion of seals and close clearance moving parts. Humidty simply causes the need for water separation which can be labor intensive to keep track of. If you don't stay on top of it, corrossion can creep in pretty quickly. Elevation will simply decrease the compressor's output capacity, it won't really effect longevity except possibly decreasing the ability to remove heat.

7. Dec 13, 2006 #6
    thanks man.
    if you have some links i appriciate

8. Dec 13, 2006 #7
    does the temperature affect also the reliabilty of the compressor ??

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?