Help: All subspaces of 2x2 diagonal matrices

In summary, the answer given is that a 2x2 diagonal matrix is a set of 4 independent real numbers, and that the subspaces of D are just spaces of dimension 0,1,2 and 3.
kostoglotov
The exercise is: (b) describe all the subspaces of D, the space of all 2x2 diagonal matrices.

I just would have said I and Z initially, since you can't do much more to simplify a diagonal matrix.

The answer given is here, relevant answer is (b):

DKwt8cN.png

Imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/DKwt8cN.png

I cannot understand how D is [itex]R^4[/itex], let alone the rest of the answer. I kind of get why there'd be orthogonal subspaces in that case, since it's diagonal...but that's just grasping at straws.

I can see how we might take the columns of D and form linear combinations from them, but those column vectors are in [itex]R^2[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe they are using the identification of a matrix ##(a_{ij})## with the ## i \times j##-ple (i.e., a point in ##\mathbb R^{i \times j} ##) given by : ## (a_{11}, a_{12},..., a_{ij}) ## , i.e., you use a double-alphabet ordering to do the identification. ## 2 \times 2 ## diagonal matrices are then identified with the set ##(a, 0,0,b) :a, b \in \mathbb R ##.

kostoglotov said:
I cannot understand how D is [itex]R^4[/itex],

In short, the set of 2x2's with real entries is just a silly way of writing [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

A 2x2 matrix is of course going to be a set of 4 independent real numbers. Independent in the sense that the elements do not constrain one another. We add component-wise, and we perform scalar multiplication component-wise. Really, this is exactly how we work with row/column vectors. We've just written them down differently. Thinking of them as actual matrices is misleading, I think. The question's solution then follows by describing (very generally) that the subspaces are just (any!) spaces of dimension 0,1,2 and 3. 1D subspaces always have to pass through the zero vector, that's nothing special about this case.

FireGarden said:
In short, the set of 2x2's with real entries is just a silly way of writing [itex]\mathbb{R}^4[/itex].

A 2x2 matrix is of course going to be a set of 4 independent real numbers. Independent in the sense that the elements do not constrain one another. We add component-wise, and we perform scalar multiplication component-wise. Really, this is exactly how we work with row/column vectors. We've just written them down differently. Thinking of them as actual matrices is misleading, I think. The question's solution then follows by describing (very generally) that the subspaces are just (any!) spaces of dimension 0,1,2 and 3. 1D subspaces always have to pass through the zero vector, that's nothing special about this case.

But the diagonal matrices are already a subspace of ##\mathbb R^4 ## whose 2nd, 3rd entries are both ## 0 ##. That makes it into a 2-dimensional subspace of ##\mathbb R^4 ##.

WWGD said:
But the diagonal matrices are already a subspace of ##\mathbb R^4 ## whose 2nd, 3rd entries are both ## 0 ##. That makes it into a 2-dimensional subspace of ##\mathbb R^4 ##.

Oh, I didn't read the requirement for the matrices to be diagonal. We still get some of the 1 dimensional subspaces and the zero subspace anyway - the second and third entries must be zero to be diagonal, but we could just as well fix the first and/or fourth to be zero, and we will still have a diagonal matrix. I'm not sure why the answer claims there are 3 dimensional subspaces in this case though..

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that contains all the necessary properties to be considered a vector space itself. This means that it must satisfy the closure, addition, and scalar multiplication properties.

2. How many subspaces are there in a 2x2 diagonal matrix?

There are infinitely many subspaces in a 2x2 diagonal matrix. This is because a subspace can be any combination of the rows or columns of the matrix, as long as it satisfies the necessary properties.

3. How do you determine if a subspace is a subset of a 2x2 diagonal matrix?

To determine if a subspace is a subset of a 2x2 diagonal matrix, you can check if it satisfies the closure, addition, and scalar multiplication properties. Additionally, all subspaces of a 2x2 diagonal matrix must contain the zero vector and be closed under addition and scalar multiplication.

4. Can a subspace of a 2x2 diagonal matrix have more than two dimensions?

No, a subspace of a 2x2 diagonal matrix can only have two dimensions. This is because a 2x2 diagonal matrix can only have two rows and two columns, and a subspace must be a subset of the matrix.

5. Are there any special properties of subspaces of 2x2 diagonal matrices?

Yes, all subspaces of 2x2 diagonal matrices are closed under matrix multiplication. This means that if you multiply any two vectors within a subspace, the resulting vector will also be within the same subspace.