1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help Calculating Pi using Arctangent formula

1. Mar 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the Arctangent formula
    pi = 16 * arctan (1 / 5) - 4*arctan(1 / 239) to calculate the value of pi to 53 significant digits.

2. Relevant equations

The power series of arctangent(x) is = x − x^3/3 + x^5/5 − x^7/7 + x^9/9......

3. The attempt at a solution

http://tinypic.com/r/fy1tax/5

fy1tax.jpg

I attempted this question on MAPLE 13(shown above), but I get an obvious incorrect answer 3.17.... instead of 3.14.........

Am i using the formula correctly? I've double checked the values and don't think I missed an exponent or inserted the wrong sign.

-Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with Maple, so I can't tell you what it's doing. However, using the same methid in Mathematica, I get 3.14.... as expected, so I assume there is something odd about the way you've told Maple to calculate it....perhaps enclosing everything after "evalf" in a pair of brackets might change things?

In any case, I'm not sure you need terms all the way up to [itex]x^{51}[/itex] to get an accuracy of 53 decimal places. Use the remainder theorem for Taylor expansions to figure out how many terms you actually need.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook