1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help calculating the Fermi coupling constant from the muon lifetime

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find the Fermi Coupling Constant using my measurement of the muon lifetime. My measurement is 2.1786x10^-6s

2. Relevant equations

[tex]G_F=\sqrt{\frac{192.pi^{3}}{\tau.m_{\mu}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried plugging in the numbers that I have and I get ~495,000ish which obviously cannot be right as the value of the Fermi Coupling Constant is:

1.166 37x10-5 GeV-2

I used lifetime as 0.0000021786s
    Mass of the muon as 0.105GeV

I think I have to put in factors of hbar and c somewhere, or change units or something, but it's driving me crazy and I can't figure it out!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    You are missing the 1/c² in the mass of the muon.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3
    I get an even larger result if I divide by c^2...

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4
    Indeed, a few h's and c's are missing. I looked up the value for the http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?gf".

[tex]\frac{G_F}{(\hbar\,c)^3}=1.16637\cdot 10^{-5}\,(\rm{GeV})^{-2}[/tex]

Are you using the following formula for the muon decay?

[tex]\Gamma_{\mu}=\frac{\hbar}{\tau_\mu}\approx\frac{G_F^2}{192\pi^3(\hbar c)^6}\cdot(m_\mu c^2)^5[/tex]

Apart from SI/natural unit conversion troubles, the muon mass gets a different exponent compared to your formula.

[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{G_F}{(\hbar c)^3}=\sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{\tau_\mu}\cdot\frac{192\pi^3}{(m_\mu c^2)^5}}[/tex]

[tex]\hbar\approx 6.582\cdot 10^{-25}\,\rm{GeV}\cdot\rm{s}[/tex]

If you now insert your value for the muon life time, you should get a reasonable result.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Dec 9, 2009 #5
    Ah yes, got it! Thank you for your help, I've spent all morning trying to work it out! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook