Calculating Muon's Time Dilation and Travel Distance in a Particle Accelerator

In summary: There is no clear correlation between being able to solve problems from problem sets and being a high quality researcher whose papers get published in reputed journals. However, it's generally agreed that these skills are important for becoming a research physicist.
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

The muon has been measured to have a mass of ##0.106\ \text{GeV}## and a rest frame lifetime of ##2.19 \times 10^{-6}## seconds. Imagine that such a muon is moving in the circular storage ring of a particle accelerator, ##1## kilometer in diameter, such that the muon's total energy is ##1000\ \text{GeV}##. How long would it appear to live from the experimenter's point of view? How many radians would it travel around the ring?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proper time runs in the muon's rest frame. Therefore, the experimenter observes a dilated lifetime of the muon.

Therefore, from the experimenter's point of view,

lifetime ##= \gamma \tau = \frac{E}{mc^{2}} \tau = \big(\frac{1000}{.106}\big)(2.19 \times 10^{-6}) = 20.7 \times 10^{-3}## seconds.Using the invariant interval in the muon's rest frame, and the experimenter frame,

##- (\delta \tau)^{2} = - (\delta t)^{2} + (\delta x)^{2}##

##\delta x = \sqrt{(\delta t)^{2}- (\delta \tau)^{2}}##

##\delta x = 0.0207## m.

Therefore, number of radians ##= \frac{0.0207}{500} = 4.14 \times 10^{-5}##.

Are my answers correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer for ##t## looks correct. The answer for ##x## cannot possibly be correct (you should be able to see it's far too small). What have you forgotten?

Last edited:
Hmm... missed out on a factor of ##c##.

Here's the corrected version:

##- (c \delta \tau)^{2} = - (c \delta t)^{2} + (\delta x)^{2}##

##\delta x = c \sqrt{(\delta t)^{2}- (\delta \tau)^{2}}##

##\delta x = 6.21 \times 10^{6}## m.

Therefore, number of radians ##= \frac{6.21 \times 10^{6}}{500} = 12420##.Is it correct now?

failexam said:

Homework Statement

The muon has been measured to have a mass of ##0.106\ \text{GeV}## and a rest frame lifetime of ##2.19 \times 10^{-6}## seconds. Imagine that such a muon is moving in the circular storage ring of a particle accelerator, ##1## kilometer in diameter, such that the muon's total energy is ##1000\ \text{GeV}##. How long would it appear to live from the experimenter's point of view? How many radians would it travel around the ring?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Proper time runs in the muon's rest frame. Therefore, the experimenter observes a dilated lifetime of the muon.

Therefore, from the experimenter's point of view,

lifetime ##= \gamma \tau = \frac{E}{mc^{2}} \tau = \big(\frac{1000}{.106}\big)(2.19 \times 10^{-6}) = 20.7 \times 10^{-3}## seconds.Using the invariant interval in the muon's rest frame, and the experimenter frame,

##- (\delta \tau)^{2} = - (\delta t)^{2} + (\delta x)^{2}##

##\delta x = \sqrt{(\delta t)^{2}- (\delta \tau)^{2}}##

##\delta x = 0.0207## m.

Therefore, number of radians ##= \frac{0.0207}{500} = 4.14 \times 10^{-5}##.

Are my answers correct?
You know the muon is essentially traveling at the speed of light, so how far does it travel before decaying?

failexam said:
Hmm... missed out on a factor of ##c##.

Here's the corrected version:

##- (c \delta \tau)^{2} = - (c \delta t)^{2} + (\delta x)^{2}##

##\delta x = c \sqrt{(\delta t)^{2}- (\delta \tau)^{2}}##

##\delta x = 6.21 \times 10^{6}## m.

Therefore, number of radians ##= \frac{6.21 \times 10^{6}}{500} = 12420##.Is it correct now?

As pointed out above, when a particle has such a high gamma factor, it's speed is approximately ##c##, so ##x \approx ct##. You can see from your equation that ##\sqrt{(\delta t)^{2}- (\delta \tau)^{2}} \approx \delta t##. Which amounts to the same thing.

Ah! Right! My answer's correct, but the formula for the invariant interval is redundant because the muon essentially travels at the speed of light.

Is that it?

failexam said:
Is that it?

Yes.

I see that, in all the problems I solve, I can work out most of the steps by itself. But at some places, I get stuck and need help.

Also, I don't always see the subtle issues like the fact that the muon speed is the speed of light in the problem above and solve problems in a longwinded way.

How do I get myself rid of these difficulties?

failexam said:
I see that, in all the problems I solve, I can work out most of the steps by itself. But at some places, I get stuck and need help.

Also, I don't always see the subtle issues like the fact that the muon speed is the speed of light in the problem above and solve problems in a longwinded way.

How do I get myself rid of these difficulties?

I wouldn't worry about not spotting shortcuts, but try to remember this one. It's quite common in these problems. However, you shouldn't have been happy with your answer of 2cm. Get into the habit of critically analysing your answers: whether they are algebraic or numeric. You can't always sanity check an answer, but often you can get a feel for when things are not right.

Is there a correlation between being able to solve problems from problem sets and being a high quality researcher whose papers get published in reputed journals?

I mean, do these skills ultimately help when you become a research physicist and have to solve open-ended problems?

1. How does time dilation affect the travel distance of muons in a particle accelerator?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the passage of time is relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. In a particle accelerator, muons are accelerated to very high speeds, causing time dilation to occur. This means that from the perspective of an outside observer, the muons will appear to experience time at a slower rate. As a result, the distance they travel in the accelerator will appear longer to the outside observer than to the muons themselves.

2. How is the time dilation of muons in a particle accelerator calculated?

The time dilation of muons in a particle accelerator can be calculated using the equation t' = t√(1 - v²/c²), where t' is the time experienced by the muons, t is the time experienced by an outside observer, v is the velocity of the muons, and c is the speed of light. This equation takes into account the principle that time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds.

3. What is the significance of calculating the time dilation and travel distance of muons in a particle accelerator?

Calculating the time dilation and travel distance of muons in a particle accelerator allows us to understand and study the effects of special relativity in a controlled environment. This knowledge can also be applied to other areas of physics and can help us better understand the nature of time and space.

4. How do scientists measure the travel distance of muons in a particle accelerator?

Scientists use specialized detectors that are placed along the path of the muons in a particle accelerator. These detectors are able to detect and measure the time it takes for the muons to travel from one point to another. By using this data and the calculated time dilation, scientists can determine the actual distance traveled by the muons.

5. Can the time dilation of muons in a particle accelerator be observed in real time?

No, the time dilation of muons in a particle accelerator cannot be observed in real time. This is because the time dilation is only significant at extremely high speeds, such as those achieved in a particle accelerator. It is only through careful calculations and measurements that we can observe and understand the effects of time dilation on the travel distance of muons in a particle accelerator.