Help clarifying an answer for magnetics question.

• Thread starter Kruum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetics
In summary, the student is trying to solve for the magnetic field in the center of a half-current loop, but is having trouble understanding how to integrate. The teacher explains that the magnetic field is the sum of infinitely small straight wires, and provides a simple equation for the magnetic field.
Kruum

Homework Statement

http://www.aijaa.com/img/b/00334/3685081.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]B= \frac{ \mu _0}{2 \pi r}I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I got it wrong the two first times (I got [tex]\frac{ \mu _0I}{2 \pi a}(1- \frac{a}{b})[/tex]), then the assistant teacher showed how it was done, but wasn't able to tell me why. This is the answer I was showed: [tex]B=B_a-B_b= \frac{ \mu _0I}{4}( \frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b})= \frac{ \mu _0I}{4a}(1- \frac{a}{b})[/tex] Can anybody clarify what the heck happened between steps 2 and 3, everything else I can understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just factor out 1/a from within the parentheses:
(blah) = 1/a(a*blah)

Doc Al said:
Just factor out 1/a from within the parentheses:
(blah) = 1/a(a*blah)

Uh, if you compare my answer and the correct answer, I'm missing [tex]* \frac { \pi}{2}[/tex]. If you misunderstood my original text [tex]B_a-B_b= \frac {\mu _0I}{4}( \frac{1}{a}- \frac{1}{b})[/tex] is the part where, the black magic happens.

Sorry about that. I wasn't clear on what you meant by "between steps 2 and 3", so I had to guess. (You meant between expressions 2 and 3 in your equation.)

In any case, why are you using this formula?
Kruum said:
[tex]B= \frac{ \mu _0}{2 \pi r}I[/tex]
That's the field from a long straight wire, not half of a current loop.

That's the thing, I don't yet quite get the idea behind line integrals and I tried to derive the expression from Amperé's law. But isn't the magnetic field in the center of half current loop the sum of infinitely small straight wires?

Last edited:
Kruum said:
That's the thing, I don't yet quite get the idea behind line integrals and I tried to derive the expression from Amperé's law. But isn't the magnetic field in the center of half current loop the sum of infinitely small straight wires?
Yes, infinitely small straight wires. You cannot use the result for an infinitely long straight wire. Instead, integrate the magnetic field from a small current element as given by the Biot-Savart law. (The integration is trivial, by the way.) Give it a shot.

Doc Al said:
Yes, infinitely small straight wires. You cannot use the result for an infinitely long straight wire. Instead, integrate the magnetic field from a small current element as given by the Biot-Savart law. (The integration is trivial, by the way.) Give it a shot.

Ah, okay. I've never heard of that law so we haven't gone through it in our course. I'm going to look it up. I'll make sure the lecturer gets a few praises. :biggrin:

Now it makes sense. So [tex]B= \frac{ \mu_0I}{4 \pi r^2} \int dl[/tex], from 0 to [tex] \pi r[/tex]. It gives me [tex]B= \frac{ \mu_0I}{4r}[/tex]. Thanks for the help and expertise our teachers obviously lack, Doc Al! :tongue2:

Now you're cooking. (And you're welcome!)

1. How do magnets work?

Magnets work by creating a magnetic field, which is a force that attracts or repels certain materials. This field is created by the alignment of the electrons within the magnet. When two magnets are brought close together, their magnetic fields interact and either attract or repel each other.

2. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that has a naturally occurring magnetic field, such as iron or nickel. An electromagnet is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire, which creates a temporary magnetic field. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. How can I demagnetize a magnet?

To demagnetize a magnet, you can heat it to a high temperature, subject it to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction, or strike it with a hammer. These methods disrupt the alignment of the electrons within the magnet, causing it to lose its magnetic properties.

4. Can magnets attract or repel non-magnetic materials?

No, magnets can only attract or repel materials that are magnetic, such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. Non-magnetic materials, like wood or plastic, do not have the necessary properties to interact with a magnetic field.

5. What is the difference between a north and south pole of a magnet?

The north and south poles of a magnet are two different ends that have opposite polarities. The north pole of one magnet will attract the south pole of another magnet, while the north pole of one magnet will repel the north pole of another magnet. This is due to the alignment of the electrons within the magnet, which create the magnetic field.