Help Deciding Between Virginia Tech and UVA for Math & Science Majors

• Schools
  • Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary, the individual is deciding between Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia, considering a math and comp sci double major or an ee or comp sci major. They are leaning towards UVA due to their interests potentially changing in college, but are also considering the strong engineering program at VT. They are seeking advice and have received opinions from individuals who have attended both schools. They are also considering the overall atmosphere and personality of each school.
ƒ(x)
I need to decide between Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. I like math an science but am unsure if I want to go into engineering. I'm thinking maybe a math and comp sci double major or an ee or comp sci one. But, I expect my interests to change once I enter college--which is a plus for UVA since it's more well rounded.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bumping because I didn't get an answer.

It seems to me that engineers focus on using knowledge to find out new methods for doing things whereas scientists discover new knowledge.

ƒ(x) said:
I need to decide between Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia. I like math an science but am unsure if I want to go into engineering. I'm thinking maybe a math and comp sci double major or an ee or comp sci one. But, I expect my interests to change once I enter college--which is a plus for UVA since it's more well rounded.

Any thoughts?

I went to VT and I loved it. It has a great community and some of the smartest math people I know. Also, if you're thinking of going for engineering, VT has one of the best engineering departments in the country. When I was going for my masters, I had the pleasure of working with some great professors that are incredibly smart in their fields.

ƒ(x) said:
It seems to me that engineers focus on using knowledge to find out new methods for doing things whereas scientists discover new knowledge.

Well, engineers use the techniques that are available to design/develop the best _____. What "best" means depends on the problem at hand.

Have you visited both campuses? You should talk to the head of each department and see which you prefer.

It's generally easier to go from Eng. -> science than the reverse, so keep that in mind.

fillipeano said:
Have you visited both campuses? You should talk to the head of each department and see which you prefer.

I'm visiting both next week

General_Sax said:
It's generally easier to go from Eng. -> science than the reverse, so keep that in mind.

I was accepted to the engineering school, so that shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, I read online that UVA is good for nanotech. Is this true?

General_Sax said:

Completely agree with the statement, I'm trying to switch out of computer science to engineering only to find out that very few credits will be excepted.

Remember that your undergrad years should also be a time for you to branch out and get involved with things. Make sure when you visit, you factor the general atmosphere with regard to your personality into your decision, not just the academics. Given a choice between a great school in your discipline where the school's personality really clashes with yours, or a good school that seems to share your mentality, I'd definitely go for the latter.

having known people who have gone to both programs, there really isn't much of a difference. I will say that UVA has a bit more of a "high-class" student body than tech though. You will also have more local choices to internships at Tech(roanoke/blacksburg/pulaski has a TON of manufacturing plants and the like...well, it did 10 years ago when I lived there)

What are the differences in the math and science programs at Virginia Tech and UVA?

Both Virginia Tech and UVA have strong math and science programs, but there are some key differences. UVA has a larger and more diverse faculty, while Virginia Tech is known for its engineering focus. Additionally, UVA has a liberal arts approach to math and science, while Virginia Tech has a more technical and hands-on approach.

Which school has a better reputation for math and science?

Both Virginia Tech and UVA have strong reputations in the math and science fields. UVA is consistently ranked higher overall, but Virginia Tech is often recognized for its engineering programs. Ultimately, the reputation of the school should not be the only factor in your decision, as both schools offer quality education in these subjects.

What research opportunities are available for math and science majors at Virginia Tech and UVA?

Both Virginia Tech and UVA have numerous research opportunities for math and science majors. UVA has a larger research budget and more resources available, but Virginia Tech also has a strong research focus and offers opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research projects.

Which school has a better location for math and science majors?

This is a subjective question and depends on personal preference. UVA is located in Charlottesville, a small college town with a strong community feel. Virginia Tech is located in Blacksburg, a larger town with a more rural setting. Both locations offer opportunities for outdoor activities and have a strong college culture.

What are the job prospects for math and science majors from Virginia Tech and UVA?

Both Virginia Tech and UVA have strong career centers and connections with various industries, so job prospects for math and science majors are generally good at both schools. UVA has a larger alumni network and is located near Washington D.C., which may provide more opportunities for internships and job placements. However, both schools have a good track record of producing successful graduates in these fields.