Help drawing equivalent resistor diagrams.

I understand now that the physical placement of the equivalent resistor does not affect the circuit as long as its leads connect across R2.In summary, the student is asking for clarification on where to place an equivalent resistor in a circuit after calculating it. The tutor explains that the orientation and physical placement of the resistor do not matter as long as its leads connect across R2. Only the underlying topology of the circuit matters.
mathnoobie

Homework Statement

I really just need help understanding how to re-draw a resistor diagram after calculating an equivalent resistor.
Now in the picture given in the attachment, you can see that R1 and R6 are in series with each other
when I compute their equivalent resistor(R1+R6), on what location on the system of resistors would I place the equivalent resistor? Would I place it in the location of R1, R6, or some intermediate point in between? I know that no matter which of the three choices I pick, it'll still be in parallel with R2 but I'm just looking for clarity in the expected placement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• eq resis.JPG
    eq resis.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 388
Physics news on Phys.org
You can place it anywhere, at any orientation you wish, so long as its leads connect across R2.

Orientation (angle, position) doesn't matter to a circuit. The lengths and convolutions of wires doesn't matter; they can wander all over the page at any angle or curve about with wild abandon. Only the underlying topology, in the mathematical sense, regarding what connects to what, matters.

Thank you!

1. What is an equivalent resistor diagram?

An equivalent resistor diagram is a simplified representation of a complex circuit that includes all the resistors and their connections in a single diagram. It is used to calculate the total resistance of a circuit and to determine the current flowing through each resistor.

2. How do I draw an equivalent resistor diagram?

To draw an equivalent resistor diagram, start by identifying all the resistors in the circuit and their values. Then, redraw the circuit in a simpler form, replacing series resistors with a single equivalent resistor and parallel resistors with a combined resistor. Finally, label each resistor with its value and show the connections between them.

3. What is the purpose of drawing an equivalent resistor diagram?

The main purpose of drawing an equivalent resistor diagram is to simplify a complex circuit and make it easier to calculate the total resistance and current. It also helps in identifying the critical components of a circuit and understanding its overall behavior.

4. Can an equivalent resistor diagram be used for any type of circuit?

Yes, an equivalent resistor diagram can be used for any type of circuit as long as it contains resistors. It is particularly useful for series and parallel circuits, but can also be applied to more complex circuits with multiple loops and branches.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing an equivalent resistor diagram?

While equivalent resistor diagrams are a useful tool for simplifying circuits, they do have some limitations. They assume that the resistors are ideal and do not take into account factors such as non-linear behavior or temperature effects. They also do not account for the effects of other circuit components, such as capacitors or inductors.