1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help drawing equivalent resistor diagrams.

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I really just need help understanding how to re-draw a resistor diagram after calculating an equivalent resistor.
    Now in the picture given in the attachment, you can see that R1 and R6 are in series with eachother
    when I compute their equivalent resistor(R1+R6), on what location on the system of resistors would I place the equivalent resistor? Would I place it in the location of R1, R6, or some intermediate point in between? I know that no matter which of the three choices I pick, it'll still be in parallel with R2 but I'm just looking for clarity in the expected placement.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can place it anywhere, at any orientation you wish, so long as its leads connect across R2.

Orientation (angle, position) doesn't matter to a circuit. The lengths and convolutions of wires doesn't matter; they can wander all over the page at any angle or curve about with wild abandon. Only the underlying topology, in the mathematical sense, regarding what connects to what, matters.

4. Apr 7, 2013 #3
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted