Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help explain an optical effect

1. Aug 14, 2012 #1

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, new to the forums, nice to meet you folks, etc.

Today the English wikipedia featured a picture of Tracy Caldwell-Dyson in the cupola of ISS(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tracy_Caldwell_Dyson_in_Cupola_ISS.jpg).
    In that picture the arc of Earth/space boundary is visibly distorted at the window edges and where the astronaut's forearm obscures the view.
    x7AQi.png
    Looks a bit like capillary action, although it's probably symmetrical and only appears to distort towards one side due to brightness difference around those points.

Anyway, last time I touched optics was in high school, and while I'd love to grok the how&why of the effect, I don't even know where to look for it. Is this due to diffraction? Something else?

It bothers me to no end, and I'd appreciate any help here, be it an in-depth explanation, or just pointing in the right direction.

Cheers chaps.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's in the camera - you are getting increased contrast at the light-dark boundary. Notice how the cloud detail is also washed out near dark foreground objects?

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3
    I don't know the reason. But if you just put your finger in front of one of your eye. You will see the similar effect.
    Most likely it is diffraction effect. yes...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook