Help explain an optical effect

In summary, the English wikipedia featured a picture of Tracy Caldwell-Dyson in the cupola of ISS where the Earth/space boundary appears distorted due to brightness differences and the astronaut's forearm blocking the view. This effect is most likely caused by diffraction and can also be observed by putting a finger in front of one's eye.
Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Hi, new to the forums, nice to meet you folks, etc.

Today the English wikipedia featured a picture of Tracy Caldwell-Dyson in the cupola of ISS(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tracy_Caldwell_Dyson_in_Cupola_ISS.jpg).
In that picture the arc of Earth/space boundary is visibly distorted at the window edges and where the astronaut's forearm obscures the view.
x7AQi.png

Looks a bit like capillary action, although it's probably symmetrical and only appears to distort towards one side due to brightness difference around those points.

Anyway, last time I touched optics was in high school, and while I'd love to grok the how&why of the effect, I don't even know where to look for it. Is this due to diffraction? Something else?

It bothers me to no end, and I'd appreciate any help here, be it an in-depth explanation, or just pointing in the right direction.

Cheers chaps.

Science news on Phys.org
It's in the camera - you are getting increased contrast at the light-dark boundary. Notice how the cloud detail is also washed out near dark foreground objects?

I don't know the reason. But if you just put your finger in front of one of your eye. You will see the similar effect.
Most likely it is diffraction effect. yes...

1. What is an optical effect?

An optical effect is a visual phenomenon that occurs when light interacts with matter in a specific way. This can include changes in color, shape, or appearance of an object.

2. How do optical illusions work?

Optical illusions work by tricking the brain into perceiving something that is not actually present. This can be achieved through manipulating color, contrast, or perspective.

3. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different density. This can cause objects to appear distorted or shifted when viewed through the medium.

4. Why do some objects appear to change color in different lighting?

This is due to a phenomenon called color constancy, where the brain adjusts how it perceives color in relation to the surrounding lighting. This can cause objects to appear different colors even though they are the same.

5. How do polarizing lenses reduce glare?

Polarizing lenses are designed to filter out certain angles of light, reducing the amount of glare that reaches the eye. This can make objects appear clearer and more distinct, especially in bright environments.