1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding fourier coefficient

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Trying to find the Nth degree fourier polynomial of

f(x) =e^x for x between -pi to pi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm trying to calculate ak which is given by

1/∏ ∫e^x cos kx dx from -∏ to ∏

I'm getting stuck here trying to use integration by parts. The integral in integration by parts is basically recursive no matter what I set for u or dv.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's recursive but you only need to do two iterations due to a nice trick which your calculus teacher did you a disservice if he/she didn't teach it to you.

You'll end up with a second copy of the original integral, which you can then combine with the original one. Try it and if you get stuck, post what you have and I'll give you a hint.

4. Jan 21, 2012 #3
    Hmm I looked at the example. I kind of get it but my answer is a bit off. This is for the definite integral. I'm getting a k^2 e^x cos kx for the second term of the answer. Everything else is the same. The answer is

A2I3I.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook