Help finding Normal average acceleration of path.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the average values of both normal and tangent acceleration of a particle moving along a curved path. The initial speed and time at point A and the final speed and time at point B are given, but there is not enough information to determine the average normal acceleration. The conversation also explores different interpretations of tangential and normal accelerations and suggests using an integral formula to find the displacement and radius of curvature to calculate the average normal acceleration. The conversation also notes that this thread has been inactive for over three years and is closing the thread.
whynot314
A particle moves along the curved path sown. if the particle has a speed of 40ft/sec at A at time ta and a speed of 44ft/sec at B at time tb, determine the average values of he acceleration of hte particle between A and B, bath normal and tangent to the path.

I found the average tangent acceleration to the path fairly easy. But I am not sure how to go about getting the normal average acceleration. I Tried to used the average tangential acceleration to get an average acceleration by 20tan(26)-20tan(36), i just am not sure.
[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20131229_171505_zps59dd5611.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20131229_171505_zps59dd5611.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

My integral says vdv. ignore that it should just be dv.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how to answer that question either. There doesn't seem to be enough information.
But can you answer this: if the speed change from v to v+dv in a short time dt, and the angle changes from θ to θ+dθ, what is the normal acceleration during dt?

Likes 1 person
yea nothing was given about a radius of curvature or anything. But to answer your question it would be v*dθ.
(there is nothing about dθ in this problem either)

I first thought that I could try to find a Normal velocity to the path, but quickly realized that there is no such thing lol. I tried to apply some pretty simply trig but nothing came close to what the answer was which is (36.7 ft/sec^2- average normal acceleration).

If you want me to take pics of some of the trig that I tired let me know.

I am not even sure how average tangential and normal accelerations are defined. An instantaneous acceleration can be decomposed into tangential and normal components because there are well defined tangential and normal directions at any point along the path, but what should they be "on average"? Do you integrate them along the path? Or just take the initial and final directions?

In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for the average acceleration between your two points? In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for the displacement vector between your two points? In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for a unit vector in the direction of the displacement vector. What is the equation for the component of the average acceleration vector in the direction of the displacement vector? What is the equation for the component of the average acceleration vector in the direction normal to the displacement vector?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for the average acceleration between your two points? In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for the displacement vector between your two points? In terms of the unit vectors in the coordinate directions, what is the equation for a unit vector in the direction of the displacement vector. What is the equation for the component of the average acceleration vector in the direction of the displacement vector? What is the equation for the component of the average acceleration vector in the direction normal to the displacement vector?

Chet
That's an interesting interpretation of 'tangential and normal accelerations'. Is this a standard definition, or your own (very reasonable) interpretation?

haruspex said:
That's an interesting interpretation of 'tangential and normal accelerations'. Is this a standard definition, or your own (very reasonable) interpretation?
This is my own interpretation. The original question was clearly very ambiguous. I tried to figure out what the person who posed this question might have been looking for. Since this could also be regarded as a discrete approximation to the instantaneous tangential and normal components of the acceleration at some point, it tried to determine how I could make this approximation most accurate. My rationale was that it would be second order accurate only at the half-way point. That would entail resolving the average acceleration into components normal and parallel to the average velocity vector, or equivalently the displacement vector, between the two end points.

Chet

Use formula ∫vdv=∫[a][/t]ds to find the displacement covered from A to B. the change in angle is known just change it to radians and arc length formula to compute radius of curvature. once radius is know calculate normal acceleration for individual points and then calculate its average value.

This thread has not had any activity for over three years, and the OP was last seen over three years ago. I am hereby closing this thread.

What is normal average acceleration of path?

Normal average acceleration of path refers to the average rate of change in the velocity of an object as it moves along a curved path. It is the acceleration in the direction perpendicular to the tangent of the path.

How is normal average acceleration of path calculated?

To calculate the normal average acceleration of path, you need to know the initial and final velocities of the object, as well as the time it takes to move between those two points. Then, you can use the formula an = (vf - vi) / t, where an is the normal average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

What is the difference between normal average acceleration and tangential acceleration?

Normal average acceleration and tangential acceleration are two different types of acceleration that occur simultaneously for an object moving along a curved path. Normal average acceleration is the change in the direction of velocity, while tangential acceleration is the change in the magnitude of velocity.

How does normal average acceleration affect an object's motion?

Normal average acceleration affects an object's motion by changing the direction of its velocity. For example, if an object is moving in a circular path, the normal average acceleration will constantly change the direction of its velocity, causing it to continuously change its direction of motion.

What factors can affect the normal average acceleration of a path?

The normal average acceleration of a path can be affected by the curvature of the path, the speed of the object, and any external forces acting upon the object. Additionally, the normal average acceleration can also be affected by the mass and shape of the object, as well as any friction or air resistance present in the environment.