Help finding ortho matrix for conic section eq

In summary: Thanks for the help!In summary, you found an orthogonal matrix P with detP = 1. You found the eigenvalues of A and found that lambda_1 = \frac{5 + \sqrt{10}}{2} and lambda_2 = \frac{5 - \sqrt{10}}{2}.
Yoss
I need to classify the conic given by the following equation:

[tex] x^2 + xy + 4y^2 + 3x - 9 = 0[/tex]

I found [tex] A = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & \frac{1}{2}\\\frac{1}{2} & 4\end{array}\right)[/tex]

I need to find an orthogonal matrix [tex]P[/tex] with [tex]detP = 1[/tex].

So I find the eigenvalues of [tex]A[/tex]

I get [tex](\lambda - 1)(\lambda - 4) - \frac{1}{4} = 0[/tex]

or [tex]\lambda_1 = \frac{5 + \sqrt{10}}{2} , \lambda_2 = \frac{5 - \sqrt{10}}{2}[/tex]

I can't seem to get a P, whose columns are the normalized solutions to

[tex] (\lambda - 1)x -.5y = 0 [/tex]
[tex] -.5x + (\lambda - 4)y = 0 [/tex]

for each eigenvalue. Is there a certain way you deal with these when your eigenvalues are not 'nice'? Should I just deal with them in decimal notation? Thanks for any advice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know that for each of the eigenvalues you are only going to get one linearly independent eigenvector. It is not much of a problem even if you get a system with square roots all over the place because you can simply ignore one of the equations. So for your problem just pick which ever equation you want to solve and the solution will automatically satisfy the other one (assuming that you've arrived at the equations correctly).

Benny said:
Well you know that for each of the eigenvalues you are only going to get one linearly independent eigenvector. It is not much of a problem even if you get a system with square roots all over the place because you can simply ignore one of the equations. So for your problem just pick which ever equation you want to solve and the solution will automatically satisfy the other one (assuming that you've arrived at the equations correctly).

I do understand that part. I know that for

[tex]\lambda_1 = \frac{5 + \sqrt{10}}{2}[/tex]

will give

[tex](3 + \sqrt{10})x - y = 0[/tex]
[tex]-x + (-3 + \sqrt{10})y = 0[/tex]

and that's just solving for one of the equations like you said. I get, for instance

[tex]\newcommand{\colv}[2] {\left(\begin{array}{c} #1 \\ #2 \end{array}\right)}{\colv{1}{3 + \sqrt{10}}}[/tex].

For [tex]\lambda_2 = \frac{5 - \sqrt{10}}{2}[/tex]

will give

[tex](3 - \sqrt{10})x - y = 0[/tex]
[tex] -x + (-3 - \sqrt{10})y = 0[/tex]

[tex]\binom{-3 - \sqrt{10}}{1}[/tex]

So [tex]P = \left(\begin{array}{cc}
1 & -3 - \sqrt{10}\\
3 + \sqrt{10} & 1
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]

(I know it should be normalized, but that's a lot of tex. The length of each of the vectors is [tex]\sqrt{20}[/tex] so the determinant of this P should be 20, so the normalized form will equal 1.

[tex]detP = 1 - (-9 -6\sqrt{10} -10) = 20 + 6\sqrt{10}[/tex]

Almost, but I can't seem to find a P where the determinant will equal exactly 20. That's what I'm finding confusing when messy numbers are involved, as opposed to nice integers with nice solutions.

I'm pretty sure I've gotten these calculations correct. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
(I know it should be normalized, but that's a lot of tex. The length of each of the vectors is so the determinant of this P should be 20, so the normalized form will equal 1.

Ugh, I forgot to foil [tex](3 + \sqrt{10})^2[/tex] when computing the distance. I guess this is the right answer after all.

If the problem is simply to classify the conic section, then just finding the eigenvalues is sufficient. One eigenvalue is positive, the other negative: that's a hyperbola.

HallsofIvy said:
If the problem is simply to classify the conic section, then just finding the eigenvalues is sufficient. One eigenvalue is positive, the other negative: that's a hyperbola.

I am familiar with that, but we have to find the transformed center as well as the axis of rotation.

1. What is an ortho matrix for a conic section equation?

An ortho matrix for a conic section equation is a 2x2 matrix that represents the rotation and scaling of the conic section. It is used to transform the standard form of a conic section equation to its general form.

2. How do I find the ortho matrix for a conic section equation?

To find the ortho matrix, you can use the standard form of the conic section equation and solve for the values of a, b, c, d, e, and f. These values can then be used to construct the ortho matrix using the formula [a b; b c].

3. What is the importance of the ortho matrix in conic sections?

The ortho matrix is important in conic sections because it allows us to easily transform the standard form of the equation to its general form. This helps in analyzing and understanding the properties of the conic section, such as its shape, orientation, and position in the coordinate plane.

4. Can I use the ortho matrix to transform a conic section equation to any other form?

Yes, the ortho matrix can be used to transform the standard form of a conic section equation to any other form, such as the vertex form or the polar form. However, the resulting equation may not always be in its simplest form.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the ortho matrix for a conic section equation?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the ortho matrix, such as using geometric constructions or solving a system of equations. However, using the standard form of the equation is the most common and efficient method for finding the ortho matrix.