Help Finding Roots of Polynomial

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the rational zeros and roots of a given equation using synthetic division and factoring. The final answer included the additional root of x=1, which was found by dividing by (x-1). The use of synthetic division and long division was also mentioned.
theintarnets

Homework Statement

First find all rational zeros of f, then use the depressed equation to find all roots of the equation f(x) = 0.
f(x) = x^3 + 5x^2 - 8x + 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Possible rational zeros: 2, -2, 1, -1
Synthetic division:

1 | 1 5 -8 2
_____1 6 -2
=============
1 6 -2 0

Quotient: x^2 + 6x - 2
Factored: (x + 3)^2 - 11

I would think that the answer would just be x = -3 ± √(11) but the answer in the book says: {1, -3 ± √(11)}
Where'd the 1 come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember, you divided by (x-1), so your equation become (x-1)(x^2+6x-2)=0 -> x= 1 in addition to the other roots you found.

Ohhhhhhh! I see now, thank you!

synthetic division, oh lord
if you want a nicer division algorithm try this

or proper polynomial long division
... I really hated synthetic division :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe we've had this discussion before, but there's nothing wrong with synthetic division. It's quick and pretty straightforward, IMO. Of course, if you're trying to divide a polynomial by a quadratic or a higher degree polynomial, then long division is the way to go.

1. What are the different methods for finding the roots of a polynomial?

There are several methods for finding the roots of a polynomial, including the Rational Root Theorem, Factoring, Graphing, and the Quadratic Formula. Each method is useful for different types of polynomials and can be used to find both real and complex roots.

2. How do I know if my polynomial has any real roots?

A polynomial has real roots if its graph intersects the x-axis at any point. This can also be determined by using the Discriminant, which is the part of the Quadratic Formula under the square root sign. If the Discriminant is positive, the polynomial has two distinct real roots. If it is zero, the polynomial has one real root. If it is negative, the polynomial has no real roots.

3. Can all polynomials be factored to find their roots?

No, not all polynomials can be factored to find their roots. Some polynomials have irrational or complex roots that cannot be expressed as a combination of integers and variables. In these cases, other methods such as the Quadratic Formula or Graphing may be used to find the roots.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the roots of a polynomial?

There is no general shortcut for finding the roots of a polynomial. However, there are some shortcuts for specific types of polynomials, such as the Quadratic Formula for quadratic polynomials and the Rational Root Theorem for polynomials with rational coefficients.

5. Can technology be used to find the roots of a polynomial?

Yes, technology such as graphing calculators and computer software can be used to find the roots of a polynomial. These tools can graph the polynomial and show the points where it intersects the x-axis, which represent the roots. However, it is still important to understand the methods for finding roots by hand in order to verify the results and understand the underlying concepts.