1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding the answer to DE using method of undetermined coefficients

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

y'' - 5y' = 2x^3 - 4x^2 -x + 6

3. The attempt at a solution

I first found the m's on the left hand side. They are 0 and 5. I then found the m's on the right hand side. They are 0, 0, 0, and 0. I then wrote my interim equation:

y = C1 + C2e^5x + Ax^4 + Bx^3 + Cx^2 + Dx. Because there already is a 0 on the left hand size for m, then there are x's for each part of the equation on the right side.

This is where I'm confused. I have tried to find the coefficients by finding the first and second derivatives of Yp, but I get very odd numbers when I solve for the variables(B = 14/75 and C = 5.324 for example). Am I on the right track or did I screw up somewhere? We have never been presented with irrational coefficients before (as is the case with C), so I'm thinking I did something wrong somewhere...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It sounds like you're on the right track. I think you're just making algebraic errors when solving for A, B, C, and D, so double-check your work for mistakes. If you post your actual work in solving for them, others and I can see if we spot any mistakes as well.

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    D'oh. You were right. Thank you!

5. Feb 24, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong, but don't use approximations, since that will foul things up. Instead of 5.324, use the exact value.

6. Feb 24, 2010 #5
    There were no approximations, my algebra was just poor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook