Help finding vendor for specialty wire

In summary, the user is looking for a specialty wire with 7 conductors, including 5 conductors with a 28G and sub assembly for low voltage DC and a 95% braided shield. They are having trouble finding a vendor who sells this type of wire and are seeking help. Possible solutions suggested include shielded Cat-5E or Cat-6 cables or using metal braided sleeving over a custom wire bundle.
buckidge
I'm looking for a specialty wire to make an extension cable for an instrument at the lab. Where can I find a vendor that will sell me this type of wire (or similar):

7 conductors total
5 conductors, 28G + sub assembly (carry low voltage DC)
95% braided shield over all wire
Sub assembly:
**2 conductors, 28G twisted pair (carry ~400V @ 25kHz)
**95% braided shield over sub assembly

I can't find anyone who makes a shielded cable inside another shielded cable. Help in finding a vendor that has this type of product off-the-shelf would be appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

I can't make a specific recommendation, but maybe something like (shielded) Cat-5E or Cat-6? However, I think most of these tend to be foil shielded, instead of braid shielded (if that makes a difference for your application).

Alternately, perhaps some metal braided sleeving to go over your own custom wire bundle?
http://cableorganizer.com/metal-braided-sleeving/

1. How do I find a vendor for specialty wire?

There are a few ways to find a vendor for specialty wire. You can start by doing a simple online search for "specialty wire vendors" or "specialty wire suppliers". You can also reach out to industry colleagues or networking groups for recommendations. Additionally, trade shows and conferences related to your field of research may have vendors present that offer specialty wire.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a vendor for specialty wire?

When choosing a vendor for specialty wire, it is important to consider factors such as the quality of the wire, the cost, the reliability of the vendor, and their customer service. You may also want to consider their experience in providing specialty wire and their ability to customize the wire to your specific needs.

3. How can I ensure the specialty wire I receive is of high quality?

To ensure the quality of the specialty wire you receive, it is important to do your research on the vendor and their reputation. You can also ask for samples or certifications from the vendor to verify the quality of their wire. Additionally, it is helpful to have a clear understanding of your specific needs for the wire and communicate those to the vendor to ensure they can meet your requirements.

4. Is it important to establish a long-term relationship with a specialty wire vendor?

Establishing a long-term relationship with a specialty wire vendor can be beneficial for both parties. It allows for better communication and understanding of your needs, as well as potentially negotiating better pricing. It also ensures a reliable source for high-quality wire for future projects.

5. How can I negotiate the best price for specialty wire?

To negotiate the best price for specialty wire, it is important to do your research on the average cost of the wire and compare prices from different vendors. You can also negotiate based on the volume of wire you need and establish a long-term partnership with the vendor. It is also helpful to communicate your budget and needs clearly to the vendor to see if they can offer any discounts or deals.