1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help finding where a sequence converges

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I have a general question along with a specific one. Could anyone give me an intuitive explanation of finding limits of convergent sequences? I have a test and just do not understand how to consistently find the answer to these problems. I can understand intuitively obvious ones, but for ones like the example below, I am stumped.

Here's my specific question-

This sequence converges at (1/2)sqrt(2). How would one find this?

(n^2)/sqrt((2n^4)+1)

Thanks!

Rob

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pull a factor of n^2 out the denominator and cancel it with the factor of n^2 in the numerator. What's left?

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    You are a genius. Haha. Thanks!

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    Actually, I still do not understand. Removing a term of n^2 will give 1/(2n^2+1)^(1/2).

How would you get sqrt(2)/2 from this?

6. Oct 1, 2012 #5
    Would the answer not be 1/2?

My book may have an error.

Sorry for the double post.

7. Oct 1, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your algebra is wrong. To get a factor of [itex]n^2[/itex] out of [itex]\sqrt{2n^4+1}[/itex] first write it as [itex]\sqrt{n^4(2+\frac{1}{n^4})}[/itex]. Now what??

8. Oct 1, 2012 #7
    The n^2 on top and bottom cancel. I'm left with 1/sqrt(2+(1/n^4)). Still not sure what to do next.

Thanks for your patience!

9. Oct 1, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now take the limit n->infinity. What happens to the 1/n^4?

10. Oct 1, 2012 #9
    It goes to zero, and I'm left with 1/sqrt(2). Ohhhh, and that is equivalent to sqrt(2)/2, yes?

11. Oct 1, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it is!

12. Oct 1, 2012 #11
    HaHA! Thanks a bunch! I have a test later and will definitely utilize my newfound limit skills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook