Help for Screenwriter on Stan Lee project

• Thread starter Neil B
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, a man weighing 72 kg jumps from a 287m high tower and falls for approximately 8 seconds before reaching the ground. If air resistance is taken into account, his approximate speed upon impact will be 50m/s or 180km/hr. The exact velocity depends on factors such as his orientation and the drag coefficient, but it is likely to be lower than the terminal velocity of 56m/s for a body in air.
Neil B
A man weighs 72 kg. he jumps from a tower 287m high. No windspeed. What appoximate speed wil he hit the ground in Km/hour?

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you reckon his weight matters?

Does he fall mostly head first, feet first, front first, or back first?

Last edited:
Dr. Courtney said:
Does he call mostly head first, feet first, front first, or back first?
He usually calls head first, but when he's had a lot of beans, sometimes it's back first.

I don't think one can ignore air resistance on this one. It seems likely to be in the region before terminal velocity but after air resistance has become significant. This means the best approach is to estimate frontal area and coefficient of drag and numerically integrate the diff eq. Mass matters here.

Assume he falls head first. that's what we've already filmed. Like a swallow dive. The actors about 5 ft 8. I'd say 42 inch chest. If that helps?

There's this calc here:
http://keisan.casio.com/exec/system/1231475371
The air resistance coefficient they use is 0.24 kg/m, which they say is typical for skydiving. They don't say which position it is, though.

I tried calculating the coefficient from ##F=\frac{1}{2}qC_dAV^2##, where I took q to be 1,2 kg/m^3, C_d for an upright man to be 1 (from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient) and the area equal to 0,12 m^2 (42" chest is about the same cross-section as a circle with 0.16m radius, plus a bit extra for arms, say r=0.2m). It nets an air resistance coefficient of about 0,07 which I think would be about right if the one in the calculator is for a horizontal falling position.

Plugging that into the calc, you get 360 236 km/h for an upright position, and 200 180 km/h for a fall in a horizontal position. These numbers are consistent with (i.e. lower than) terminal velocities in skydiving as found e.g. here:
http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

(edit: wrong numbers - forgot to change height)

One of my basic principles is that the answer to a hard problem is often between the answers to two much easier problems. In this case, the impact velocity will be lower than that obtained ignoring air drag.

So first, we compute the impact velocity ignoring air drag.

Using conservation of energy, the kinetic energy at the bottom (0.5 m v^2) will equal the potential energy at the top (mgh).

The mass cancels out so solving for v yields v = sqrt(2*g*h) = sqrt(2*9.8 m/s/s * 287 m) = 75 m/s.

Converting to km/hr yields v = 270 km/hr.

Dr. Courtney said:
higher than the terminal velocity.
Why would that ever be the case?

How many seconds before he reaches the ground? Will the screenwriter have the man do improbable things on the way down?

jackwhirl said:
How many seconds before he reaches the ground? Will the screenwriter have the man do improbable things on the way down?
About 8 seconds.

Amazing. Thank you...

distance = 1/2 (a) (t^2)
t = time
a = acceleration of gravity = 9.81 m/s
distance = 287m
t = sqrt (287/(9.81/2)) =7.64 seconds in a vacuum

velocity = a * t = 7.64 * 9.81 = 75 meters/sec ( terminal velocity for a body in air is 56m/sec and takes 12 seconds, so this is wrong for a real fall in air)

The full solution with air resistance is in here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_fall

This takes you through it also
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Terminal-Velocity

Turns out the mass matters when you consider air resistance.
I'm not sure what numbers to use for drag coefficient since it depends on the orientation of the body.

1. How can I get help on my Stan Lee project as a screenwriter?

There are several ways you can get help on your Stan Lee project as a screenwriter. One option is to join online forums or communities specifically for screenwriters where you can ask for advice and feedback from other writers. You can also reach out to writing groups or organizations in your local area to see if they offer workshops or mentorship programs for screenwriters. Additionally, you can hire a script consultant or writing coach to provide personalized feedback and guidance on your project.

2. What resources are available to help me with my Stan Lee project?

There are many resources available to help you with your Stan Lee project as a screenwriter. You can find books, online courses, and workshops specifically focused on writing for film and television. There are also online databases and tools that can assist with formatting your screenplay and finding industry contacts. Additionally, you can attend film festivals and industry events to network and learn from experienced screenwriters and industry professionals.

3. How can I make my Stan Lee project stand out to producers?

To make your Stan Lee project stand out to producers, it is important to have a strong and unique concept, well-developed characters, and a compelling plot. You can also make your project more attractive by having a polished and professional screenplay, and by showcasing your writing skills through previous work or writing samples. Networking and building relationships with industry professionals can also help your project stand out and increase its chances of getting noticed by producers.

4. Are there any specific guidelines or requirements for writing a screenplay for a Stan Lee project?

There are no specific guidelines or requirements for writing a screenplay for a Stan Lee project. However, it is important to familiarize yourself with the genre and style of storytelling that Stan Lee is known for in his work. It may also be helpful to research the specific characters and universe you are writing for to ensure accuracy and consistency. Ultimately, the most important aspect is to create a well-crafted and engaging story that stays true to the essence of Stan Lee's work.

5. How can I protect my idea and screenplay for a Stan Lee project?

To protect your idea and screenplay for a Stan Lee project, you can register your work with the Writers Guild of America or the U.S. Copyright Office. You can also consider working with a lawyer to draft a contract or non-disclosure agreement before sharing your idea with others. It is important to only share your project with trusted individuals and to be cautious when pitching to potential producers or studios.