Help for self education on QM & Theories on Time

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of educating oneself on quantum mechanics and physics. The person asking for recommendations is looking for a good fundamental QM text/reference book and a book that covers all theories of time. The expert summarizer advises that there is no one book that covers all theories of time and recommends Bram Gaasbeek's "An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" as a good resource for QM fundamentals. They also mention other resources such as Leonard Susskind's "Theoretical Minimum" and "QM for Dummies" for more advanced material. The conversation also touches on the concept of time in physics, including coordinate time and proper time in special relativity. The expert warns that discussions about the nature of time are often more
Len hakureu
im planing to educate myself . on quantum mechanics/physics .
so could you please refer me
1 good fundamental QM text / reference book .
and
1 book that covers all the theories on time ( space time , time line ...)

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL You must do a literature search first, to learn that there is no such one book of all theories of time. For QM fundamentals, I recommend Bram Gaasbeek's 2010 An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. Its cost/benefit ratio is undefined for being free at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.4184
An Introductory Course on Quantum Mechanics
Bram Gaasbeek
(Submitted on 23 Jul 2010)
This is a very gentle introductory course on quantum mechanics aimed at the first years of the undergraduate level. The basic concepts are introduced, with many applications and illustrations. Contains 12 short chapters of equal length, ideal for a one term course. The license allows reuse of figures and text under the Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike conditions.
Comments: 204 pages, 65 figures

I would recommend you you read Leonnard susskinds Theoretical minimum (QM) edition. He doesn't explain things in great detail but he introduces you to the basic stuff like harmonic oscillators and Heisenbergs uncertainty principle, he also has several lectures on the homepage of stanford university.
From then on I would recommend you read QM for dummies,yes I know doesn't sound challengeing or inpressive but it requires 1 year of QM at UNiversity,yet with susskind you shall survive and they really go into detail and they introduce you to the reall hardcore stuff like legendre polynomials hermite polynomials(ok, that is not really hardcore) and so on. They also show you how to use the stuff with examples. From then on you can read some lectures for instance by Paul dirac they are pritty easy. And if you are interested in Feynman diagramms and that stuff I would reccomend Feynman diagramms in Manybody problem the appendices also give a brief intorduction to Dirac notation and son on (yet I would say you get the second edition) and the critics are really different, some say it's challenging and some don't. I hope that helps, if you have more questions maby, I shll try and help.

Doug Huffman said:
LOL You must do a literature search first, to learn that there is no such one book of all theories of time. For QM fundamentals, I recommend Bram Gaasbeek's 2010 An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. Its cost/benefit ratio is undefined for being free at
http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.4184
An Introductory Course on Quantum Mechanics
Bram Gaasbeek
(Submitted on 23 Jul 2010)
This is a very gentle introductory course on quantum mechanics aimed at the first years of the undergraduate level. The basic concepts are introduced, with many applications and illustrations. Contains 12 short chapters of equal length, ideal for a one term course. The license allows reuse of figures and text under the Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike conditions.
Comments: 204 pages, 65 figures
thank you , for your input
AND
hey! common, don't mock me based on my typing .
PS what i meant by "book covering all theories of time" was
a book that gives a basic idea in what time is , how time flows ,and the nature of time ( particle / predetermined flow / time thread )
i.e A theories and B theories of time

Be forewarned: stuff about the "nature of time" is much more likely to be philosophy than physics.

Likes Len hakureu
Len hakureu said:
a book that gives a basic idea in what time is , how time flows ,and the nature of time ( particle / predetermined flow / time thread )

In Newtonian physics and special relativity, the equations are usually have a special simple form. The theories assert that we can choose time so that the laws of physics have this special simple form. So time is simply what makes the laws of physics true globally. This time is called coordinate time and is associated with the notion of a global inertial frame.

Special relativity has another notion of time called proper time. An atomic clock carried by each person reads the amount of proper time that has elapsed between two events. Proper time is personal, since it is different for each person.

These are probably too advanced, but you can keep them in mind.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521010691/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521003970/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Len hakureu
moriheru said:
I would recommend you you read Leonnard susskinds Theoretical minimum (QM) edition. He doesn't explain things in great detail but he introduces you to the basic stuff like harmonic oscillators and Heisenbergs uncertainty principle, he also has several lectures on the homepage of stanford university.
From then on I would recommend you read QM for dummies,yes I know doesn't sound challengeing or inpressive but it requires 1 year of QM at UNiversity,yet with susskind you shall survive and they really go into detail and they introduce you to the reall hardcore stuff like legendre polynomials hermite polynomials(ok, that is not really hardcore) and so on. They also show you how to use the stuff with examples. From then on you can read some lectures for instance by Paul dirac they are pritty easy. And if you are interested in Feynman diagramms and that stuff I would reccomend Feynman diagramms in Manybody problem the appendices also give a brief intorduction to Dirac notation and son on (yet I would say you get the second edition) and the critics are really different, some say it's challenging and some don't. I hope that helps, if you have more questions maby, I shll try and help.
thank you sooo much for your input.

jtbell said:
Be forewarned: stuff about the "nature of time" is much more likely to be philosophy than physics.
yep . i do know that . but i was expecting , some detailing on time wrt , relativity theory , dimensions , string theory , time as a particle , time as a pre-determined path that repeats itself no matter what , time as a thread that forms and branches based on possible choices ect ect ..

atyy said:
In Newtonian physics and special relativity, the equations are usually have a special simple form. The theories assert that we can choose time so that the laws of physics have this special simple form. So time is simply what makes the laws of physics true globally. This time is called coordinate time and is associated with the notion of a global inertial frame.

Special relativity has another notion of time called proper time. An atomic clock carried by each person reads the amount of proper time that has elapsed between two events. Proper time is personal, since it is different for each person.

These are probably too advanced, but you can keep them in mind.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521010691/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521003970/?tag=pfamazon01-20
thank you .

Mention of Leonard Susskind and string theory apropos time should also mention Lee Smolin's advocacy of a background-independent physics, as in his 2006. The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next. (Houghton Mifflin) and 2013. Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). With Roberto&tag=pfamazon01-20 Mangabeira Unger he hasThe Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy due out at the end of November.
[/URL]
Some idea of his concerns may be taken from his essay Temporal Naturalism @ http://arxiv.org/abs/1310.8539

(Submitted on 31 Oct 2013)
Two people may claim both to be naturalists, but have divergent conceptions of basic elements of the natural world which lead them to mean different things when they talk about laws of nature, or states, or the role of mathematics in physics. These disagreements do not much affect the ordinary practice of science which is about small subsystems of the universe, described or explained against a background, idealized to be fixed. But these issues become crucial when we consider including the whole universe within our system, for then there is no fixed background to reference observables to. I argue here that the key issue responsible for divergent versions of naturalism and divergent approaches to cosmology is the conception of time. One version, which I call temporal naturalism, holds that time, in the sense of the succession of present moments, is real, and that laws of nature evolve in that time. This is contrasted with timeless naturalism, which holds that laws are immutable and the present moment and its passage are illusions. I argue that temporal naturalism is empirically more adequate than the alternatives, because it offers testable explanations for puzzles its rivals cannot address, and is likely a better basis for solving major puzzles that presently face cosmology and physics.
This essay also addresses the problem of qualia and experience within naturalism and argues that only temporal naturalism can make a place for qualia as intrinsic qualities of matter.
Subjects: History and Philosophy of Physics (physics.hist-ph)
Cite as: arXiv:1310.8539 [physics.hist-ph]
(or arXiv:1310.8539v1 [physics.hist-ph] for this version)
Submission history
[v1] Thu, 31 Oct 2013 15:08:28 GMT (38kb)

Likes Len hakureu
jtbell said:

To the OP: Some discussions on the more philosophical and speculative side, but originating from quantum physics are found in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540610499/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (see the chapter on "The Evolutionary Picture")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199546967/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The problems discussed there come from the notion of "collapse of the wave function", which is part of the quantum formalism and represents irreversible evolution in some sense. But we don't really understand what this "in some sense" means, since the wave function is usually not considered real, and it is just a tool to calculate probabilities of events.

Before reading the Haag's and Wallace's book, you should master quantum mechanics at the level in the introduction linked to by Doug in post #2, and also read another article by Braam Gaasbeek http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3977

Likes Len hakureu
Len hakureu said:
thank you sooo much for your input.
I am guessing that was sarcasm?!
BTW you should read up on Maxwell equations if you read Dirac(the lectrues 1-4 aren't that hard to understand and they are really cheap depending on the country in that you live).

moriheru said:
I am guessing that was sarcasm?!
BTW you should read up on Maxwell equations if you read Dirac(the lectrues 1-4 aren't that hard to understand and they are really cheap depending on the country in that you live).
that ayn't a sarcasm , every single response is help full ,
after all the more there is to know & learn , more the fun it is !
ps do yo know where i am ?
pps if so , how did you figure it out ?

atyy said:
To the OP: Some discussions on the more philosophical and speculative side, but originating from quantum physics are found in
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540610499/?tag=pfamazon01-20 (see the chapter on "The Evolutionary Picture")
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199546967/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The problems discussed there come from the notion of "collapse of the wave function", which is part of the quantum formalism and represents irreversible evolution in some sense. But we don't really understand what this "in some sense" means, since the wave function is usually not considered real, and it is just a tool to calculate probabilities of events.

Before reading the Haag's and Wallace's book, you should master quantum mechanics at the level in the introduction linked to by Doug in post #2, and also read another article by Braam Gaasbeek http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3977
thank you so much ,
and that's exactly what i was asking for
" the books that'll help me know the fundamentals of quantum mechanics & concept of time , thoroughly , rigorously and exhaustively "

It was a guess as most of the members are from the US and you speak english it was logical.

Likes Len hakureu
Len hakureu said:

There isn't really such a book and it's mostly mixed physics/philosophy books, each mostly going into one idea or a few. No really knows for sure what time is and there are no really clear theories at the deepest sort of what is time fundamental level.

Likes Len hakureu
moriheru said:
It was a guess as most of the members are from the US and you speak english it was logical.
I belong to " THE EASTS " , neither am i from US , nor my mother tongue is English .
Really sorry to disappoint you .

I really don't care in which country you live, I was just making a comment.Could of guessed by the anime, but this has nothing to do with your thread, anyway...

Last edited:

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic levels. It involves understanding the fundamental particles that make up the universe and the interactions between them.

2. How does quantum mechanics relate to time?

Quantum mechanics does not have a specific concept of time, but it does play a role in the behavior of particles and systems over time. It can help us understand how particles move and change over time, as well as how time is affected by gravity and other forces.

3. What are some key theories on time in quantum mechanics?

Some key theories on time in quantum mechanics include the Copenhagen interpretation, which suggests that particles do not have definite properties until they are observed, and the Many-Worlds interpretation, which posits that every possible outcome exists in a separate universe.

4. How can I learn more about quantum mechanics and theories on time?

There are many resources available for self-education on quantum mechanics and theories on time, such as books, online courses, and lectures. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics before diving into these topics.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics and theories on time?

Quantum mechanics has a wide range of applications, including electronics, cryptography, and quantum computing. Theories on time can also be applied to areas such as cosmology and the study of black holes.