1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help for self education on QM & Theories on Time

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    im planing to educate myself . on quantum mechanics/physics .
    so could you please refer me
    1 good fundamental QM text / reference book .
    and
    1 book that covers all the theories on time ( space time , time line ............)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

LOL You must do a literature search first, to learn that there is no such one book of all theories of time. For QM fundamentals, I recommend Bram Gaasbeek's 2010 An Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. Its cost/benefit ratio is undefined for being free at
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.4184
    An Introductory Course on Quantum Mechanics
    Bram Gaasbeek
    (Submitted on 23 Jul 2010)
    This is a very gentle introductory course on quantum mechanics aimed at the first years of the undergraduate level. The basic concepts are introduced, with many applications and illustrations. Contains 12 short chapters of equal length, ideal for a one term course. The license allows reuse of figures and text under the Attribution-Noncommercial-ShareAlike conditions.
    Comments: 204 pages, 65 figures

4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    I would recommend you you read Leonnard susskinds Theoretical minimum (QM) edition. He doesn't explain things in great detail but he introduces you to the basic stuff like harmonic oscillators and heisenbergs uncertanty principle, he also has several lectures on the homepage of stanford university.
    From then on I would recommend you read QM for dummies,yes I know doesn't sound challengeing or inpressive but it requires 1 year of QM at UNiversity,yet with susskind you shall survive and they really go into detail and they introduce you to the reall hardcore stuff like legendre polynomials hermite polynomials(ok, that is not really hardcore) and so on. They also show you how to use the stuff with examples. From then on you can read some lectures for instance by Paul dirac they are pritty easy. And if you are interested in Feynman diagramms and that stuff I would reccomend Feynman diagramms in Manybody problem the appendices also give a brief intorduction to Dirac notation and son on (yet I would say you get the second edition) and the critics are really different, some say it's challenging and some don't. I hope that helps, if you have more questions maby, I shll try and help.

5. Oct 8, 2014 #4
    thank you , for your input
    AND
    hey! common, don't mock me based on my typing .
    PS what i meant by "book covering all theories of time" was
    a book that gives a basic idea in what time is , how time flows ,and the nature of time ( particle / predetermined flow / time thread )
    i.e A theories and B theories of time

6. Oct 8, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Be forewarned: stuff about the "nature of time" is much more likely to be philosophy than physics.

7. Oct 8, 2014 #6

atyy

Science Advisor

In Newtonian physics and special relativity, the equations are usually have a special simple form. The theories assert that we can choose time so that the laws of physics have this special simple form. So time is simply what makes the laws of physics true globally. This time is called coordinate time and is associated with the notion of a global inertial frame.

Special relativity has another notion of time called proper time. An atomic clock carried by each person reads the amount of proper time that has elapsed between two events. Proper time is personal, since it is different for each person.

These are probably too advanced, but you can keep them in mind.
    https://www.amazon.com/Relativity-An-Introduction-Special-General/dp/0521010691
    https://www.amazon.com/The-Measurement-Time-Frequency-Atomic/dp/0521003970

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Oct 9, 2014 #7
    thank you sooo much for your input.

9. Oct 9, 2014 #8
    yep . i do know that . but i was expecting , some detailing on time wrt , relativity theory , dimensions , string theory , time as a particle , time as a pre-determined path that repeats itself no matter what , time as a thread that forms and branches based on possible choices ect ect ..

10. Oct 9, 2014 #9
    thank you .

11. Oct 9, 2014 #10

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Mention of Leonard Susskind and string theory apropos time should also mention Lee Smolin's advocacy of a background-independent physics, as in his 2006. The Trouble With Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science, and What Comes Next. (Houghton Mifflin) and 2013. Time Reborn: From the Crisis in Physics to the Future of the Universe (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). With Roberto Mangabeira Unger he hasThe Singular Universe and the Reality of Time: A Proposal in Natural Philosophy due out at the end of November.
    [/URL]
    Some idea of his concerns may be taken from his essay Temporal Naturalism @ http://arxiv.org/abs/1310.8539

12. Oct 9, 2014 #11

atyy

Science Advisor

To the OP: Some discussions on the more philosophical and speculative side, but originating from quantum physics are found in
    https://www.amazon.com/Local-Quantum-Physics-Theoretical-Mathematical/dp/3540610499 (see the chapter on "The Evolutionary Picture")
    https://www.amazon.com/The-Emergent-Multiverse-according-Interpretation/dp/0199546967

The problems discussed there come from the notion of "collapse of the wave function", which is part of the quantum formalism and represents irreversible evolution in some sense. But we don't really understand what this "in some sense" means, since the wave function is usually not considered real, and it is just a tool to calculate probabilities of events.

Before reading the Haag's and Wallace's book, you should master quantum mechanics at the level in the introduction linked to by Doug in post #2, and also read another article by Braam Gaasbeek http://arxiv.org/abs/1007.3977

13. Oct 9, 2014 #12
    I am guessing that was sarcasm?!
    BTW you should read up on Maxwell equations if you read Dirac(the lectrues 1-4 aren't that hard to understand and they are really cheap depending on the country in that you live).

14. Oct 10, 2014 #13
    that ayn't a sarcasm , every single response is help full ,
    after all the more there is to know & learn , more the fun it is !!!!!
    ps do yo know where i am ??????
    pps if so , how did you figure it out ??????

15. Oct 10, 2014 #14
    thank you so much ,
    and that's exactly what i was asking for
    " the books that'll help me know the fundamentals of quantum mechanics & concept of time , thoroughly , rigorously and exhaustively "

16. Oct 10, 2014 #15
    It was a guess as most of the members are from the US and you speak english it was logical.

17. Oct 10, 2014 #16
    There isn't really such a book and it's mostly mixed physics/philosophy books, each mostly going into one idea or a few. No really knows for sure what time is and there are no really clear theories at the deepest sort of what is time fundamental level.

18. Oct 11, 2014 #17
    I belong to " THE EASTS " , neither am i from US , nor my mother tongue is English .
    Really sorry to disappoint you .

19. Oct 11, 2014 #18
    I really don't care in which country you live, I was just making a comment.Could of guessed by the anime, but this has nothing to do with your thread, anyway...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted