How to Solve the Integral of (x^2+1)/(x^4+1)?

• Thread starter totentanz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to solve the equation x^2+1/x^4+1, apply the linearity formula for integrals and decompose the fraction using partial fractions. The denominator can be factored into (x^2+sqrt(2)x+1)(x^2-sqrt(2)x+1), which can then be used in the partial fractions. Other suggested methods include using inverse tangent or manipulating the fraction to make the problem easier.
totentanz
Can anyone help me solving x2+1/x4+1...thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just apply linearity and you'll get:

[tex]\int{x^2dx}+\int{\frac{1}{x^4}dx}+\int{dx}[/tex].

This are elementary integrals, so it is easily solvable.

thank you...but can you explain it more?

What don't you understand about it? You just apply the formula

[tex]\int{(f(x)+g(x))dx}=\int{f(x)dx}+\int{g(x)dx}[/tex]

Then you have brought the integral to three basic integrals, which you can easily solve with the formula

[tex]\int{x^ndx}=\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+C[/tex] for [tex]n\neq -1[/tex].

Did you use partial fractions to get that result? I think he may be referring to:

[tex]
\int{\frac{{x^2}+1}{{x^4}+1}dx}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Caramon said:
Did you use partial fractions to get that result? I think he may be referring to the integral of ((x^2 + 1)/(x^4 + 1))dx

Ah yes, that may make more sense...

To the OP: Parantheses in mathematics are EXTREMELY important! Don't add too few of them.

So, which question is it? (Before I spend a year doing partial fractions, completing the square, substitution, and god knows what else)

Caramon said:
Did you use partial fractions to get that result? I think he may be referring to:

[tex]
\int{\frac{{x^2}+1}{{x^4}+1}dx}
[/tex]

Yes this is what I mean...but when you decompose the fraction I get

(x^2+1)/((x^2+1)(x^2+1)+2)

Last edited:
-decompose into partial fractions (with completed squares)
-obvious
inverse tangent

[itex]x^4+ 1= 0[/itex] has no real roots but we can write [itex]x^4= -1[/itex] so that [itex]x^2= \pm i[/itex] and then get [itex]x= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)[/itex], [itex]x= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1- i)[/itex], [itex]x= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1+ i)[/itex], and [itex]x= \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1- i)[/itex] as the four roots. We can pair those by cojugates:
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= \left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})- i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)\left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})+ i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]= (x- \sqrt{2}{2})^2+ \frac{1}{2}= x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]

That is, the denominator [itex]x^4+ 1[/itex] factors as
[tex](x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1)(x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1)[/tex]
and you can use partial fractions with those.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
[itex]x^4+ 1= 0[/itex] has no real roots but we can write [itex]x^4= -1[/itex] so that [itex]x^2= \pm i[/itex] and then get [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(1+ i)[/itex], [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(1- i)[/itex], [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(-1+ i)[/itex], and [itex]x= \sqrt{2}{2}(-1- i)[/itex] as the four roots. We can pair those by cojugates:
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= \left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})- i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)\left((x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})+ i\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}\right)[/tex][tex]= (x- \sqrt{2}{2})^2+ \frac{1}{2}= x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]
and
[tex]\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1+ i)\right)\left(x- \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}(-1- i)\right)[/tex][tex]= x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1[/tex]

That is, the denominator [itex]x^4+ 1[/itex] factors as
[tex](x^2+ \sqrt{2}x+ 1)(x^2- \sqrt{2}x+ 1)[/tex]
and you can use partial fractions with those.

Thanks bro...this is what I was looking for...I hope it works

Last edited:
sorry my friend but it is not working

Back in my high school days I knew tricks for these. For an anti-derivative sought in a subset of R excluding 0, we can make the following tricks:

[tex] \int \frac{x^2 +1}{x^4 +1} \, dx = \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{x^2}}{x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2}} \, dx = \int \frac{d\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)^2 + \left(\sqrt{2}\right)^2} = ... [/tex]

dextercioby said:
Back in my high school days I knew tricks for these. For an anti-derivative sought in a subset of R excluding 0, we can make the following tricks:

[tex] \int \frac{x^2 +1}{x^4 +1} \, dx = \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{x^2}}{x^2 + \frac{1}{x^2}} \, dx = \int \frac{d\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)}{\left(x-\frac{1}{x}\right)^2 + \left(\sqrt{2}\right)^2} = ... [/tex]

Thanks my friend,this is great...because I am stuck in this exo,and I can not go on

You have been given a number of different suggestions (dextercioby's making the problem almost trivial) but keep saying you cannot do it- and showing no work at all. Have you tried what dextercioby suggested? What did you do and where did you run into trouble.

HallsofIvy said:
You have been given a number of different suggestions (dextercioby's making the problem almost trivial) but keep saying you cannot do it- and showing no work at all. Have you tried what dextercioby suggested? What did you do and where did you run into trouble.

I am working on solving it all week,and I can not find a complete answer except what Mr.dextercioby show...and I already solve this "normalization of the wavefunction",thank you for your care

totentanz said:
I am working on solving it all week,and I can not find a complete answer except what Mr.dextercioby show...and I already solve this "normalization of the wavefunction",thank you for your care

Ok...I solve it

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is also known as the antiderivative of a function.

Why is solving integrals important?

Solving integrals is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to find the total quantity or value of a continuous function over a given interval. It also helps in understanding the behavior of a function.

What are the different methods for solving integrals?

There are several methods for solving integrals, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, partial fractions, and numerical integration. The choice of method depends on the complexity and form of the integral.

What should I do if I cannot solve an integral?

If you are struggling to solve an integral, it is important to review the fundamental concepts of calculus and try different methods. You can also seek help from a tutor or consult online resources and textbooks for practice problems and step-by-step solutions.

How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

You can check your solution by differentiating it and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integral calculators or ask a colleague or tutor to verify your solution.