Help I don't understand about equailities of the eqation.

• Thread starter john.lee
  • Start date
In summary, the question involves finding y when y'=-5xy. The solution involves solving for dy/dx and integrating to find y=+-K*e^(-2.5x^2). However, the answer is given as y=K*e^(-2.5x^2), which does not include the absolute value. This is because the absolute value is used to indicate that y must be positive for the equation to work. In this case, since the equation involves an even power, the +/- can be ignored and the answer is simply y=K*e^(-2.5x^2).
john.lee

Homework Statement

y'=-5xy, y=?

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved that,

dy/dx=-5xy

dy/y=-5x dx

∫(1/y)dy=∫-5x dx

= ln(lyl)= -2.5x^2+C

so, y=+- e^(-2.5x^2+C)
=+-K*e^(-2.5x^2)

but the answer is y=K*e^(-2.5x^2)

how can i understand this?

just shoud i ignore "the absolute value"?

Physics news on Phys.org
john.lee said:

Homework Statement

y'=-5xy, y=?

The Attempt at a Solution

i solved that,

dy/dx=-5xy

dy/y=-5x dx

∫(1/y)dy=∫-5x dx

= ln(lyl)= -2.5x^2+C

so, y=+- e^(-2.5x^2+C)
=+-K*e^(-2.5x^2)

but the answer is y=K*e^(-2.5x^2)

how can i understand this?

In your solution ##K = \pm e^C## which can be anything but zero. In the answer ##K## is unrestricted. So the only difference is that the answer includes ##y=0## and your solution doesn't. (It was missed when you divided by ##y##). The answers are the same once you include ##y=0## in yours.

john.lee said:

Yep.

The only reason |abs| is used is to mark the fact that it's impossible to have a ln() value where the thing in the brackets is negative.

Essentially y must be positive for the equation to work.

The only time I can think of that you really need to use +/- is when you have a value with an even power, such as x2, x4, x-6, etc. Because then x can be positive or negative and will still yield the same result when you raise it to that power.

Hope that helps a little!

1. What are the different types of equations?

There are several types of equations, including linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, and trigonometric equations. Each type has its own unique properties and methods for solving.

2. How do I determine if an equation is balanced?

An equation is considered balanced if both sides are equal. This means that the values on the left side of the equal sign must be equivalent to the values on the right side. To check for balance, you can simplify each side of the equation and compare the results.

3. What are the rules for solving equations?

The rules for solving equations vary depending on the type of equation. However, some general rules include isolating the variable on one side of the equation, performing the same operation on both sides of the equation, and checking the solution to make sure it satisfies the original equation.

4. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method used to solve an equation depends on the type of equation and its complexity. Some common methods include substitution, elimination, and graphing. It is important to understand the properties and characteristics of each type of equation to determine the most suitable method for solving.

5. What are some tips for understanding equations?

Understanding equations takes practice and patience. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and to break down the equation into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be helpful to use visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, to better understand the equation and its solutions.