1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP! I'm not sure how to do this problem.

1. Apr 22, 2007 #1
    Alright... this question is on my homework for my accelerated physics class. I have a test tomorrow and I'm lost on how to do it so
    Here is the question:

A very small sample of fuel for a nuclear fission reactor contains .012 kg of Uranium-235. Suppose that each fission event from this fuel produces Barium-141 and Krypton-92, along with 3 additional neutrons. The nuclear reactor is then able to provide power to homes, which uses an average of 7.2x10^9 J of energy every month.
    a) Determine the number of fission events possible from this fuel sample.
    b)How long could the Uranium-235 fuel sample provide power for the average home?

Uranium-235 = 235.0439 u
    Barium-141 = 140.9144 u
    Krypton-92 = 91.92515 u

Here are some conversion factors:
    1 u = 1.66x10^-27 kg

I'm not exactly sure what equation to use and how to use it. Here is the equation
    E = mc^2

This will sound weird but I already know the answers.. Our teacher gives us the answers but she only takes points for the work and plus I need to know how to do it for the test. Here are the answers:
    a)3.08x10^22
    b)119 months

I would really appreciate it if you could help me out and give me pretty good detail so I can figure it out. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Part a) is fairly simple in that you know the mass of a single uranium-235 atom and you know the mass of U-235 in the fuel rod. If each atom is one fisiion event then all you have to do is find how many atoms constitute a mass of 0.012Kg.

For part b) you have to find the mass defect between the parent nucleus and the products of fission. You can then find out how much energy a single fission event releases and multiply it by how many events there are. Then you will compare it by the energy consumed per month by the households.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?