1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Help in choosing one Engineering Major along Physics Major.

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am a high-school student. I'll be going to a college next year.

I've decided to pick up Physics as a major. The employment sector, for physics, is not as rich as Engineering sector. Due to parents, who only wish to see me succeed, I've planned to pick up one other Engineering Major along with Physics.

I've planned for Computer Science, however, if there is any other course with same or greater prospects as CS that might be related to my major in Physics, I'd love to pick it.

I planned CS as I'm good with computers. I can pick things faster, although I'm not very addicted to this particular course.

Please don't recommend Maths. If there is need, I might go to classes or declare it as my minor, but I'd like to have an Engineering Major.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2016 #2
    Electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering are all complemented well by a thorough understanding of the underlying physics.

Mechanical and civil engineering are similar in the areas of physics used, differing in the types of projects and employers you'd be working with. Check out the Practical Engineering channel on YouTube to get a little flavor of what civil engineering involves.

Electrical engineering benefits from a thorough understanding of electrodynamics, and some sub-areas of electrical engineering use a bit of quantum physics.

You'll have a better idea of which of these you enjoy once you've gotten into your second or third introductory physics course, whichever covers basic electromagnetism.

Also, I highly recommend that you take a linear algebra/matrix algebra as soon as you can. It will help you at least a little and sometimes a lot in just about every physics and engineering course after your first year.

4. Nov 26, 2016 #3
    Thank You. Anything else worth looking to?

5. Nov 26, 2016 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted