1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help integrating sin^2(x-pi/6)

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    Hi there everyone,

sin^2(x-pi/6) dx

I have the following integral to solve but am unsure where I should start, I first thought about integrating by parts as I thought you could split it into [Sin(x-pi/6)][Sin(x-pi/6)]. But couldn't seem to figure that out. I was wondering if you could use a trig identity but again am unsure which one.

Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Use the double angle formula. This is a very handy formula to reduce the exponent in a trigfunction appearing in your problem.

Integration by parts works nicely as well, if you are careful with your notation.

4. Oct 6, 2013 #3
    which double angle formula would I use, we still have a Sin^2 to deal with

5. Oct 6, 2013 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, use the double angle formula in which sin^2 appears on its own, of course.

6. Oct 6, 2013 #5
    Aha, yes, Thanks for the help

7. Oct 6, 2013 #6
    I have completed the question using the double angle formula, could you tell me if you find any errors, as im still unsure whether I have done this right or not.

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Oct 6, 2013 #7
    There is a sign error in the end. What is ##\displaystyle \int \cos(x) \, dx##?

9. Oct 6, 2013 #8
    integrating cos(x) is -sin(x) + c, I took that in consideration as it was 1-cos(x), thus using two negatives = positive, I corrected it to x + 1/2 sin(2x- pi/3).

Does everything look good for this integration? Since I checked on Wolfram Mathematica's on-line integration and the answer they got was

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=sin^2(x-pi/6)&random=false

10. Oct 6, 2013 #9
    oh, I realise my mistake, integrating cos(x) = sin(x)

11. Oct 6, 2013 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You can always check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if you recover the integrand.

12. Oct 9, 2013 #11
    So Ive completed the question, and checked if I get the original answer by differentiating it. And it seems good. HOWEVER, I have one concern; when you use the double angle formula, can I take 'A' as (x - pi/6) in sin^2(x-pi/6) or would I need to split it somehow. Please clear up my confusion.

13. Oct 9, 2013 #12

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does 'A' represent?

14. Oct 9, 2013 #13
    In terms of the question: sin2

15. Oct 9, 2013 #14
    Sorry, in terms of the formula: sin2A = 0.5[1-cos2A]

16. Oct 9, 2013 #15

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

In the identity, you can replace 'A' by anything as long as you replace it with the same thing everywhere. Setting A to ##(x-\pi/6)## is perfectly fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted