• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Help integrating sin^2(x-pi/6)

• Thread starter K.QMUL
  • Start date
Hi there everyone,

sin^2(x-pi/6) dx

I have the following integral to solve but am unsure where I should start, I first thought about integrating by parts as I thought you could split it into [Sin(x-pi/6)][Sin(x-pi/6)]. But couldn't seem to figure that out. I was wondering if you could use a trig identity but again am unsure which one.

Any suggestions?

Answers and Replies

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Use the double angle formula. This is a very handy formula to reduce the exponent in a trigfunction appearing in your problem.

Integration by parts works nicely as well, if you are careful with your notation.

which double angle formula would I use, we still have a Sin^2 to deal with

arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Well, use the double angle formula in which sin^2 appears on its own, of course.

Aha, yes, Thanks for the help

I have completed the question using the double angle formula, could you tell me if you find any errors, as im still unsure whether I have done this right or not.

Thanks

Attachments

I have completed the question using the double angle formula, could you tell me if you find any errors, as im still unsure whether I have done this right or not.

Thanks
There is a sign error in the end. What is ##\displaystyle \int \cos(x) \, dx##?

Likes 1 person
integrating cos(x) is -sin(x) + c, I took that in consideration as it was 1-cos(x), thus using two negatives = positive, I corrected it to x + 1/2 sin(2x- pi/3).

Does everything look good for this integration? Since I checked on Wolfram Mathematica's on-line integration and the answer they got was

http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=sin^2(x-pi/6)&random=false

oh, I realise my mistake, integrating cos(x) = sin(x)

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
You can always check your answer by differentiating it and seeing if you recover the integrand.

So Ive completed the question, and checked if I get the original answer by differentiating it. And it seems good. HOWEVER, I have one concern; when you use the double angle formula, can I take 'A' as (x - pi/6) in sin^2(x-pi/6) or would I need to split it somehow. Please clear up my confusion.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
What does 'A' represent?

In terms of the question: sin2

Sorry, in terms of the formula: sin2A = 0.5[1-cos2A]

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
In the identity, you can replace 'A' by anything as long as you replace it with the same thing everywhere. Setting A to ##(x-\pi/6)## is perfectly fine.